PDA

View Full Version : A few turbo and OBD1 questions...

Tdurr
07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
So first of, im sure you can tell that i want to go turbo. I've been reading up on stuff I will need to do this. I got a buddy who is building a turbo civic(d16z6), and my secret goal is to stomp him, or at leat get a solid car and a half.
Anyways, Im looking to try and do a OBD1 swap by the end of this month(start of next at latest) and was wondering what all do i need for OBD1? I know I need an obd1 ecu(gonna try and get p25 and chip it), obd0 to obd1 harness from ebay(i love that place), obd1 dizzy, O2 senser+welding bung(for wide band, gonna go ahead and get that outta the way) and wut else besides time?

Also, for turbo manifold im looking to buy one from a member($600) that still retains ps, would it be cheaper to find a shop connection and have them make me one? Also a t3/t4 hybrid would be good for a dd at 6-8 psi with a 10psi race mode? :lol: im looking to make power at 3200+rpms because i sill gotta get around and have okay gas mileage under my 3kshift point.

i guess this will be my turbo build thread... Thanks in advance!
~TDR

cubert
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
youre building the car for the wrong reasons...if you go into it just trying to beat your buddies car, its gonna get old real quick...

i personally think 600 bucks is wayy too much for a log mani, but then again im not real up to snuff with the accord turbo world...

Im not sure if hes still making them, but SQ is the SQUAD was gonna make some manis. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63467

2oodoor
07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
thanks for the thead link cubert

and yes , that is good advice not to build to keep up with the jones'es... trust me that mindset is a sure recipe for consistent disatisfaction.

Dark Racer, just know that the d16vtec and A20 are two very different animals and will have peak torque hitting the asphault at different places on the same track. Of course there are many other factors besides the engines. Like your goal of one and half cars, that could be hard to achieve on the long end. You may have him at the sixty foot, the eighth, by six cars or so, then he hits his vtec rpm and boost and he runs you down after you have done all you can do by then. Its a lot about the drivers and circumstances of fate & physics.
(kicks off soapbox and bows)

Tdurr
07-09-2008, 04:36 PM
lol thats not why im building the car at all. I just want be able to beat him, if not, ill still suprize some stangs around here. Im really building the car cuz I want to just so it can be a sleeper of sorts. My car already has a rebuild(33xxmiles on it) and has ground controls+struts, a ballin interior, and well I wanna take it a step further. But dont think that im doing this just to beat my friend, its a friendly thing.
here is a link to the mani i was talkn bout:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63921&page=2

Oh and i already pm'ed squad ;)
~TDR

EricW
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
If your asking what you need for the obd1 swap then your not going to have it done by the end of the month. You need a p75 ecu, I've never heard of a p25. p28 and p30 are also common but will need to chipped to run the motor well. To do the swap you will need a ECU, Obd1 distributor, and conversion harness. You also need to run shielded wires to the distributor and for a 4 wire O2 sensor. The biggest problem is mounting the distributor where its adjustable and doesn't interfere with any thing else.

For anything up to 10psi I would go with a T3 as long as you don't get a really small one you won't have to worry about it spooling when you don't want it to.

gfrg88
07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
seems to me like u need to do a lot more researching on things.. for turbo info, id say go to homemadeturbo.com.. for the conversion, read up on here a lot... theres really no way that ive seen so far to do it. seems like people have jus tried whatever works out for them..

goodluck, and keep on reading...

MessyHonda
07-10-2008, 12:02 AM
buy a civic if you want to go fast for cheap

Tdurr
07-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Eric thanks for the info, thats what i was looking for, I did mean p75 dono why i said 25... But I've been reading and kno i still have a good way to go before I turbo, but OBD1 shouldn't be too hard and i was really asking if I had the right part list for obd1. I kno i gotta read some more and get a OBD1 dizzy and try my hand at getting the dizzy to work. Seems like one of those things you just gotta do...

Wiring for me isnt a prob, I come from comp work and kno my way when it comes to wiring stuff up...
To messy, im not looking to do this cheap at all. i kno its gonna be a pretty penny and alot of long sleepless nights, but hey its worth to me.

Again thanks for the words of advice from everyone
~TDR

cubert
07-10-2008, 05:31 PM
well, it does sound like you know youre in for alotta work and its not gonna be easy...so if thats the case research research research....and have fun with it

gfrg88
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Eric thanks for the info, thats what i was looking for, I did mean p75 dono why i said 25... But I've been reading and kno i still have a good way to go before I turbo, but OBD1 shouldn't be too hard and i was really asking if I had the right part list for obd1. I kno i gotta read some more and get a OBD1 dizzy and try my hand at getting the dizzy to work. Seems like one of those things you just gotta do...

Wiring for me isnt a prob, I come from comp work and kno my way when it comes to wiring stuff up...
To messy, im not looking to do this cheap at all. i kno its gonna be a pretty penny and alot of long sleepless nights, but hey its worth to me.

Again thanks for the words of advice from everyone
~TDR

well it sounds like youre really motivated into doing this. I say dont give up and youll have a really nice car. Sorry cant help on the obd-1 part since i havent done that or really looked at it before.... Again, good luck :rockon:

Tdurr
07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! much appreicated! I'm just gonna make another thread when everything gets started..
~TDR

Accordtheory
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
My manifold is on ebay, just listed it today..starting bid is $400, so 200 less than what I previously said. Hopefully it works out for you or someone at least..
As far as the wastegate, you could go with an internally gated turbo, or I could weld a flange for an external gate onto the manifold, but not until the auction's over and it's paid for, because I don't want to put something on there that someone else wouldn't want if it doesn't sell, and then have to redo it or lose that person as a customer.

Accordtheory
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
what all do i need for OBD1? I know I need an obd1 ecu(gonna try and get p25 and chip it), obd0 to obd1 harness from ebay(i love that place), obd1 dizzy, O2 senser+welding bung(for wide band, gonna go ahead and get that outta the way) and wut else besides time?

im looking to make power at 3200+rpms because i sill gotta get around and have okay gas mileage under my 3kshift point.

i guess this will be my turbo build thread... Thanks in advance!
~TDR
The most time consuming thing about obd1 is hacking up your existing harness, adding a bunch of wires, and adding a connector for them. I don't think you'll be able to find an obd1 a20 conversion harness anywhere. What you will find is a conversion harness for the connectors right at the ecu. Be sure you know how to solder and heat shrink well before you get into any of this, a wire coming apart somewhere in the harness after it's all taped up and loomed together would not be very cool. I'd get an obd1 harness from a civic or whatever, cut that up, and merge that with the a20 harness. And in case you're tempted, don't deal with Rywire, those guys are horrible in every way that counts. Zero competence/quality + zero customer service, unbeatable combination..I wasted $300 on those guys just to end up building the harness myself. I did it with the connector at the firewall for the new wires(oem honda connector cut out of an old harness) because it's easy to disconnect everything and leave the harness on the motor if you want to pull it out. Another thing that's not hard, just kind of weird, is modifying the signal from the speed sensor in the dash to the ecu. That is optional, but without it you can't do certain things with programming, like gear based boost control, or other things I can't remember right now.
Chipping the ecu itself is pretty easy. I socketed, chipped and converted my p75 to vtec with the xenocron kit for about $50.

AccordEpicenter
07-20-2008, 10:16 AM
id say that a T3 .60/.48 would be exactly what you are looking for, maybe a .60/.63 if you can deal with a little later spool rpm with a bigger top end pull. I heart my old .60/.63 t bird turbo

Tdurr
07-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the tips you to. And theroy u got a pm from me. and I just learned about gear based boost(wich i like) and wondering what you meant by modding the speed sensor signal to the ecu? Basic explanation would do it for now. god i want that mani, but im in debt and going to IA this weekend.... If it doesnt sell in 2 weeks its mine. Bottem line lol.
~TDR