PDA

View Full Version : fast easy way to clean engine bay ...

nomocars23
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
and not crack head or something stupid that im liable to do

im thinking just take it to the local car wash and spray the engine bay engine and under hood down on low pressure and let it settle dry and wipe off .. will this work

tenchimuyo93
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
i get a can of engine brite from the local parts house, use it very heavy and after it sits a bit, i start the car and leave it running while i high pressure spray it off. just be sure to watch the dizzy/electronics/carb/throttle body.

epic1400cs
07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
It depends on the chemical you use and the type of the dirt you want get rid of. Most probably the bay might be dirty because of spilled oil covered with soil or dust then, warm up the motor so that the oil under the dirt become soft and easy to be removed, then spray the chemical specific for this purpose. Wait as the chemicals direction says and use high pressure hot water gun or what ever and rinse it. But if the bay has never been cleaned before, you need to do it several times. Or, you want take your car to garage or good car wash that can steam clean - boiling hot high pressure water from gun that will shift the oil dirt stuff. Don't use oven cleaner as they may attack the painted part in the bay.

ghettogeddy
07-12-2008, 01:52 PM
ive done 3 cans of the engine bright the gel kind and each time got better
but when i got the scrub brush out and scrubbed is when it started looking better

lostforawhile
07-12-2008, 01:52 PM
i bought some of the nappa brand parts cleaner in a gallon bottle, off brand purple stuff, and sprayed it full strength,let it sit,then hosed it off,it cleaned everything really well.

AccordB20A
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
we took my ex's civic to my mates dads work where they had this spray on degreasder you spray everywhere leave it sit for 5 minuites and then hose it off with their boiling hot water blaster damn it came up good.

nomocars23
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
so basically whatever i do imgoing to need some type of degreaser from auto zone or napa, high water pressure from a carwash or my own and i need to make sure i say away from all electricall stuff like dizzy, battery, spark plugs and my carb right???

tenchimuyo93
07-12-2008, 07:11 PM
so basically whatever i do imgoing to need some type of degreaser from auto zone or napa, high water pressure from a carwash or my own and i need to make sure i say away from all electricall stuff like dizzy, battery, spark plugs and my carb right???

high pressure isn't a must but very helpful, the rest is about right. and chemical of choice is what you feel comfortable using

A18A
07-12-2008, 07:35 PM
i just hosed mine with water, came out clean as. also sprayed a bunch of tyre shine all over it too lol
[img]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/88vigor/100_7723Large.jpg[/imng]
mind you it was mainly dust & dirt not oil

epic1400cs
07-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I like high water pressure cause it is very strong and easy to shift the oil dirt plus you can aim at the spot without covering the electric parts badly.
You can use hose but I recommend high water pressure for much better result without long time brushing.
When finish rinsing, start your engine straight away, heat it up to help drying the bay as quick as possible or some water in odd place may cause another trouble.
If the car doesn't start, most probably water got into distributor so take the cap off and wipe inside the cap, I had this once.

ghettogeddy
07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
thats a good question whats color is your car

mine is white and it shows so much under the hood lol
dident take much scrubbing to get it decent under there

MessyHonda
07-13-2008, 04:13 PM
any engine degresser should do the job...scrubing helps sticky dirt and oil. plus its so much nicer to work in a clean engine bay

XxirhxccusiusxsxX
07-13-2008, 08:45 PM
I've heard that high pressure/hot water can get in to your electronics and mess them up. I've done it before with no problems but not on something with electronics, what do you guys think?

frantik
07-14-2008, 11:47 AM
when i bought my car i had the engine bay steam cleaned at a car wash and it looked fucking great.

w261w261
07-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I've always sprayed on some kind of degreaser, then let it sit for a bit and hosed it off. Bag the coil and dizzy, and be careful somewhat about blasting with the hose. You really have to take off the plastic shield below the engine to be able to get under there and get everything clean, but removing the shield is easy.

DBMaster
07-15-2008, 08:09 AM
I periodically drain some water out of my water heater in the garage to keep the tank clean. If you hook your garden hose to the drain valve on the water heater you can use warm/hot water to spray the engine bay. This works very well. I would shy away from the high pressure coin-op car washes. With all the old brittle wiring on these cars you could very easily break something.