PDA

View Full Version : smokes real bad

hondo
07-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi, guys, I have a 86 lxi, which has been sitting for a few years, I went to start it and it
ran decent for 30 seconds or so then it starts running rough and massive smoke starts coming out the exhuast, It was empty according to the gage, figured it was bad gas so I
put a couple gallons in but it still does it. any Ideas.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
was seaform in it? how long have you let it run? could it be carbon deposits burning off?

lostforawhile
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi, guys, I have a 86 lxi, which has been sitting for a few years, I went to start it and it
ran decent for 30 seconds or so then it starts running rough and massive smoke starts coming out the exhuast, It was empty according to the gage, figured it was bad gas so I
put a couple gallons in but it still does it. any Ideas.maby the valve stem seals dry rotted from sitting they will take a set over time. especially the exaust ones. lots of times there isn't much left of them. this is an easy fix

Oldblueaccord
07-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Well if it sat a while the engine may have frozen and the headgasket is blown.

wp

Dr_Snooz
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Wouldn't hurt to know what color smoke.

hondo
07-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the responses, The smoke is grey smells bad,
would just letting it run fix it ? it just pollutes the air so bad
It smokes my neighbors out.

lostforawhile
07-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the responses, The smoke is grey smells bad,
would just letting it run fix it ? it just pollutes the air so bad
It smokes my neighbors out.
it's probably old oil with tons of moisture in it,change the oil and check into those valve stem seals.

hondo
07-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok I'll try changing the oil, thanks for the help guys.

Hauntd ca3
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
run it up to operating temp and see what it goes like, keep an eye on the oil pressure as well
clean and gap your plugs as well
since you gotta warm it up for an oil change anyways it'll give it a chance to clear itself.
havnt met a motor yet that runs sweet after a couple years of sitting
prob just burning off all the old oil and moisture build up and old gas will make it run like arse even if you put a couple gallons of fresh stuff in it

AccordB20A
07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
run it up to operating temp and see what it goes like, keep an eye on the oil pressure as well
clean and gap your plugs as well
since you gotta warm it up for an oil change anyways it'll give it a chance to clear itself.
havnt met a motor yet that runs sweet after a couple years of sitting
prob just burning off all the old oil and moisture build up and old gas will make it run like arse even if you put a couple gallons of fresh stuff in it

hmm i have seen cars start right up after 5 years of sitting and run fine. but JDM hondas usually do that NOTHING else lol

i had a car that would smoke light fuck when it was cold but when it got up to temp it was okay and only did it a little bit under acceleration after deceleration (valve stem seals)