PDA

View Full Version : im new-88 accord LXI auto

dpowered
07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Hello fellow 3geez! I pcked up a 88 accord LXI auto . for free. my freind owed me money. The car must have been garage kept. Its interior is perfect. the radio(cassette) good. The a/c had the r13 chane from a shop. and worked last summer after i bumped afew cans of the stuff from kmart into it.then when my bro. inlaw gave it back from driving it it didnt work any more. I hate when i brake my rule of not letting anyone borrow my car(s).
Im using the name dpowered because i registerd with a civic club and used that name.Just to make it easy for me. I guess i could have used A-pwered, ha. Um yeah it took a while to fall in love with this car. When it was still my freind's, it was overheating, so we put a new radiator in it. then he got fed up, and when i asked him if he had my money he said"take the accord". I like crap. anyways after a while of looking for the leak. i took the exhaust manifold off... there it was the freeze plug siiting on the ledge of the block,( for this long) so i tapped it round, with a hammer. and jB welded it back into place. I hasnt had aproblem since.
I had a problem with the oil filter adapter. the triaglelar bolt pattern. i put a new gasket in that too. plus filled the edges with a tiny bit of JB weld.Ha... that stuff goes a long way...
man i pulled the oil pan off, clean that up crystal. Did the water pump,duralast. did the headgasket. Felpro.... plugs,bosch plat 4.. wires,duralast.um the resanator went bad so i cut it out and put a peice of 2" flex pipe in there, with clamps. The accord just rolled over 241000 miles!!!
The auto tranny was real lom onoilwhen we first ran it. so we change it 3xs!! then to semi- synthetic.plus additives.. Much better. But still. THis A20 engine is strong, but the auto slows it down! is this normal??? the tranny doesnt shift smooth, it rams into he next gear. It seems like it due for a rebuid. I never rebuild a tranny before but.Im dspewrate to fix it up..Is this normal??? the tranny shifts smooth when little gas is applied. then if i give it more than 1/3 throttle it stays in 2nd, i have to let off the throttle to shift. bad! ill never feel the real potential of the A20 engine, with this worn/ tired auto matic. if i could find a good cheap auto to throw in.
Anyways this accord gets better everytime i look at it. The sunroof needs fixed . the headlights wont flipdown. the rust spot on the rear quarter panel. The oddly good condition. This accord must have been well taken care of. Im proud to own it. 3GEEZ!!!!

86ccord
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Hello fellow 3geez! I pcked up a 88 accord LXI auto . for free. my freind owed me money. The car must have been garage kept. Its interior is perfect. the radio(cassette) good. The a/c had the r13 chane from a shop. and worked last summer after i bumped afew cans of the stuff from kmart into it.then when my bro. inlaw gave it back from driving it it didnt work any more. I hate when i brake my rule of not letting anyone borrow my car(s).
Im using the name dpowered because i registerd with a civic club and used that name.Just to make it easy for me. I guess i could have used A-pwered, ha. Um yeah it took a while to fall in love with this car. When it was still my freind's, it was overheating, so we put a new radiator in it. then he got fed up, and when i asked him if he had my money he said"take the accord". I like crap. anyways after a while of looking for the leak. i took the exhaust manifold off... there it was the freeze plug siiting on the ledge of the block,( for this long) so i tapped it round, with a hammer. and jB welded it back into place. I hasnt had aproblem since.
I had a problem with the oil filter adapter. the triaglelar bolt pattern. i put a new gasket in that too. plus filled the edges with a tiny bit of JB weld.Ha... that stuff goes a long way...
man i pulled the oil pan off, clean that up crystal. Did the water pump,duralast. did the headgasket. Felpro.... plugs,bosch plat 4.. wires,duralast.um the resanator went bad so i cut it out and put a peice of 2" flex pipe in there, with clamps. The accord just rolled over 241000 miles!!!
The auto tranny was real lom onoilwhen we first ran it. so we change it 3xs!! then to semi- synthetic.plus additives.. Much better. But still. THis A20 engine is strong, but the auto slows it down! is this normal??? the tranny doesnt shift smooth, it rams into he next gear. It seems like it due for a rebuid. I never rebuild a tranny before but.Im dspewrate to fix it up..Is this normal??? the tranny shifts smooth when little gas is applied. then if i give it more than 1/3 throttle it stays in 2nd, i have to let off the throttle to shift. bad! ill never feel the real potential of the A20 engine, with this worn/ tired auto matic. if i could find a good cheap auto to throw in.
Anyways this accord gets better everytime i look at it. The sunroof needs fixed . the headlights wont flipdown. the rust spot on the rear quarter panel. The oddly good condition. This accord must have been well taken care of. Im proud to own it. 3GEEZ!!!!

welcome man,! and have pics to show.. cause people are going to want to see them!! LOL

SO, wheres the pics?!

enjoy your stay at 3geez! and welcome!

MessyHonda
07-12-2008, 05:56 PM
:welcome: to the site

AccordB20A
07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
welcome. and "in before the pics or ban"

Pico
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
:welcome:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/Icons/gotpics.gif

A18A
07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
you should convert it to manual instead of rebuilding the auto box. welcome anyways