PDA

View Full Version : really quite loud roaring

tomatofiasco
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
i dont know what the nature of this problem is, or if its even a problem. but at about 60km/h and then again at 80km/h and then at various speeds above 100km/h, a booming roaring noise develops. it sounds just like being tailgated by a cheaply modified WRX, and used to cause me to look check my mirrors for said assailants. but it happens on any sealed road from concrete to floated smooth tar to nasty raspy asphalt.

it is very much speed dependant - braking, accelerating, coasting, cornering loads, high and low rpms, up and downhills dont make a difference. i also havent noticed it fluctuating with changing winds [ie a long curve turning into the wind, or choppy winds].

there isnt excess play in the front or rear wheel bearings and the rear wheels spin easily so the bearings arent done up to tight i dont think. i have checked pressures in and swapped the front and rear tyres too, which had exactly zero effect as well.

so im pretty stumped. i took the carpet out of my car so its road-noisier than usual. but i cant remember when i noticed the noise. im pretty sure it wasnt there when i first got the car.

late-breaking idea: the car came with a set of quite new, though not particular expensive tyres. the rears [from the front] are getting a bit bald. could this moaning be a consequence of the tread getting low and resonating? i drive on wet roads often and its never hairy so they arent THAT worn... thoughts?

w261w261
07-14-2008, 06:43 AM
I actually put in a new set of rear wheel bearings when my 3G developed the "roaring" noise. I was told by the tire dealer that it was probably the tires reaching a certain amount of wear, but they weren't *that* worn, and besides, I figured that at 150k miles, I might as well throw in a new set of rear bearings anyway.

I put in the bearings, and the noise remained. It was the first time in my life that I had heard it like this, and I've been around longer than most everyone here. A new set of tires cured things.

I'm assuming that your noise is definitely from the rear of the car, e.g. nothing has come loose in the intake plumbing.

2oodoor
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
have you checked your alignment lately? I know on mine it made a strange roaring , I thought it was WB but it was just the extra strain of being out of align.

tomatofiasco
07-15-2008, 06:11 PM
cool, a couple of new tyres are probably in order anyway.

i HAVENT checked the alignment, no. and it could be out. in fact if it isnt out i'll be like :huh:

because i know if i take it to a garage they'll probably break it in half for me and then overcharge, is there a quick way to check if the alignment is much out using a piece of wood, a laser pointer, a roll of tape and half a brick? or similarly advanced materials? wheel alignment just means that when the wheel is straight ahead, so are both front wheels, right?

the noise is hard to place, its that droning bass frequency that comes from everywhere. :violin:

its definitely not in the intake though. otherwise i'd leave it :D

2ndGenGuy
07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
That droning sounds like what I've dealt with many times. One time was the rear wheel bearings. They may go dry before they wear and start making noise like that. You may not have any play, but you could in for some soon.

When I first got my '84 (like 8 - maybe 9 - years ago) it had a bad howling too from the tires.

I'd say if you've got another car, or have a friend with tires that fit, swap em out and see what happens. If you've still got that howl, suspect the rear wheel bearings first, as they're easy to pull out and repack with grease and check for free or even replace for $8.00 per side.

If you do all that and you've still got problems, sounds like front wheel bearings (boo need a shop to press new ones in!) or possibly something worse (transmission).

Maybe try putting the front end up on jackstands and put it in gear and see if there is a howling up front. It may unload the wheel bearings, but could be maybe 5th gear or something. Perhaps the transmission is low on oil.

2oodoor
07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok I should have more thoroughly read the first post. If swerving back and forth at that speed does not change the pitch or any aspect of the noise, then no I would not say wheel bearings as the first listed ingrediant.
This is more like some sort of wind noise. Lost any insulation lately? ski or bike rack?
Is your spare tire in the hole?
You can try using some blue masking tape on places around the outside of the car that could catch air, also sometimes the inner braces of hoods and top roofs can get loose and blammo you have a bass drum.

headbanger
04-21-2012, 11:12 AM
did you ever figure this out mine is doing something simlar but i think its coming from front end an i have replaced everything an it still remains.