PDA

View Full Version : How to: replace vavle cover gasket

nomocars23
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
has any one had any problems with a leaky one .. mine seems to leakoil ... and then the oil burns ... so im going to replace it tomorro... does any one know anything i should look out for ...fyi... i have a car'd coupe too ... i bought

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP673495/vehicleId,1044202/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,241/partType,00524/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

and also idk if i need the grommets also

turabaka
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
when I switched over to an lx-i valve cover I bought a new gasket from Napa. That one comes with the grommets. The old gasket had blue form-a-gasket on it, but for the new one I didn't have to use any sealants. Just pop it in and reinstall the valve cover.

nomocars23
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
so i do need those grommets

paul
07-14-2008, 03:42 PM
No replacement grommets needed...

I replaced mine a few weeks ago, I needed to put some blue gasket sealer to attach the gasket to the valve cover so when I flipped the valve cover right-side up, the gasket wouldn't fall out of the valve cover, might want to pickup some of that sealer too!

Keep good track of those 3 little bolts and grommets though :hsugh:

nomocars23
07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
lol i take it you lost them or somthin .. and ill will keep track of them .. i also found out that i might need a little brake degreaser cleaner also to get the groves for the gasket clean and free of crap ...

thanks alot guys

Toneloc5145
07-14-2008, 08:44 PM
You don't NEED new grommets, that is just recommended. Maybe I should make a how-to on this as well.

Its pretty easy, just make sure the new gasket and the metal surface that the gasket connects to are completely clean and free of oil.

Also, when you tighten the 3 nuts, make sure you tighten them so there is an even amount of pressure on each nut. So do 2 turns on the right, then 2 turns on the left, then 2 in the middle. Then 2 more on the left, etc. I've found that if you follow that process, you shouldnt need any sealant or any other chemical adhesives.

russiankid
07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
You should tighten the nuts from the middle out. So it would be the middle one first, then either the left or right. Also, as Toneloc mentioned, make sure they are even.