PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Throttle

Accy
09-23-2002, 05:46 AM
I have this little problem with my throttle. When ever I change gears normaly i.e. 1st - 2nd or 2nd-3rd I release my gas and then depress the clutch but what happens is the throttle sticks, so every time I do this my engine revs aobut 500 rpm higher then when I released the throttle. Now Im not changing gears improperly. Usually what I do to relieve the problem is saty off of the accelerator for a couple of seconds then change gears, but this is a hsle when trying to race ppl. :D

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

BoredRec
09-23-2002, 06:55 AM
First, check to make sure nothing is stuck under the pedal that might hang it up. If that's not it, open the hood and check the throttle cable where it comes out of the firewall. They like to kink and hang up where it starts to wrap around the engine. It should be quite obvious where it's kinked. If that's not it, then I'm out of suggestions for the moment.

Accy
09-23-2002, 06:58 AM
k Cool I'll check that. Thanks a lot for the sugg.'s I'll re-post if problem persists.

Dutchboy
09-23-2002, 07:52 AM
i have the same thing....
i havent checked the cable as of yet....i learned to live with it for now...

other suggestions from people before were..
the coolant temperature sensor, sticking throttle plates..carb rebuild...

i got a ton of time to kill so i might as well start with the cable too..ive checked my linkages and they are fine...

Let us know if you find out what it is...
THe throttle cable could very well be the problem seeing how old it is and worn inside it could be..

BEN

Accy
09-24-2002, 05:11 AM
As I was driving this morning, obviously my engine was col....well guess what?? There was no problem with it... It changed fine without over reving. I think it might be something with the engine temp. and the cables becoming hot and expanding, therefore sticking!! what do you think?

smufguy
09-24-2002, 08:00 AM
usually it sticks when its cold, cause temperature eases the molucles and that like chem101. Well, its not good to drive a car with a cold engine. So anywaz, get a carb cleaner and clean the throttle flap and get the grime off of it, next get some lube on the throttle linkage on the front and get the springs worked with a good amount of grease (moly or lithium would be fine).

if nothing works what u do is, try swapping ur throttle cable and see what happens, if that does not work either, test ur tps, cause the electircal shit is the only one that works in haywire when temp goes up.

see if these work. hope something works :)

custom88
09-24-2002, 08:14 AM
I had the ame problem with mine here's what you need to do:
Get a can of brake cleaner then spray it all around the spring that is connected to your throttle body and make sure this is really clean then let it dry. Whatever you do dont put any form of grease or lubricating stuff in there beacause over time this will break down and attract dust and then it just does it all over again.

Accy
09-24-2002, 02:13 PM
Sweet thanks a lot guys for all the help I'll try all of the above. BLOODY GREAT!!