oscwrestler
07-15-2008, 12:12 PM
whats the easiest way to do it?

Demon1024
07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
r u carbed?

HondaBoy
07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
first jack the car up. then take the wheel off. then undo the lower ball joint and tie rod end from the left driver side of the car. after that it should come out quite easily. i trust you know how to remove an alternator from this point. that is the proper procedure for removing the alternator from a 3gee.

russiankid
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
first jack the car up. then take the wheel off. then undo the lower ball joint and tie rod end from the left driver side of the car. after that it should come out quite easily. i trust you know how to remove an alternator from this point. that is the proper procedure for removing the alternator from a 3gee.

That is for a carb, EFI you just fish it out under the hood.

Demon1024
07-15-2008, 06:40 PM
after you remove the air filter box.
isn't it easier to jus remove the lower arm to frame bolt instead of taking apart the ball joint? i've always had a hard time getting them apart.

russiankid
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
after you remove the air filter box.
isn't it easier to jus remove the lower arm to frame bolt instead of taking apart the ball joint? i've always had a hard time getting them apart.

If it's stuck it's not.

A18A
07-16-2008, 05:38 AM
i never had to pull apart any suspension on my old carbed car when i removed the alternator

markmdz89hatch
07-16-2008, 07:49 AM
if you're carb'd the Haynes/Chiltons both say you have to not only pop the lower ball-joint, but also pull the axle (after draining the tranny).

I was able to do it by removing the airbox and busting every knuckle on both hands trying to fish it out, but after going through all that trouble, I would much rather do it as the book says.

It's a little more work to drain the tranny and pull the axle after popping the lower b/j and lower pinch bolt on the fork, but IMO, much more straight forward.

w261w261
07-16-2008, 09:00 AM
<< It's a little more work to drain the tranny and pull the axle after popping the lower b/j and lower pinch bolt on the fork, but IMO, much more straight forward>>

And as a bonus, you get a fresh refill of the tranny, something that can get neglected. Good time to put in some Honda OEM fluid.