PDA

View Full Version : alternator replacement 89 lxi

tysn
07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Ok ive read that the axel has to be removed in order to get the alternator out, i also read somewhere that the alternator could be taken out through the top of the engine by the master cylinder and firewall. my question is does anyone have any insight or first hand knowledge if this is plausible?

Pico
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Ok ive read that the axel has to be removed in order to get the alternator out, i also read somewhere that the alternator could be taken out through the top of the engine by the master cylinder and firewall. my question is does anyone have any insight or first hand knowledge if this is plausible?

since your 3G is injected, all you have to do is remove the air cleaner assembly, and you will be able to remove the alternator thru the area where the box was mounted.
No need to remove the axle on the injected models

1987AccordLx-i
07-15-2008, 11:28 PM

yeah mines fuel injected and i had to change the alt. once.. ok so heres what you do if yours is FI

1. remove black air cleaner assembly behind intake manifold
2. remove alternator via 3 screws (adjustment screw.. 2 mounting screws)
3. move belt out of the way
4. waalaa.. shes out

as for carbed applications.. i wouldnt know.. im fuel injected... best of luck bro

Demon1024
07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
plus the wires on it. that plug can be a pita to get out sometimes...

1987AccordLx-i
07-17-2008, 06:21 PM
plus the wires on it. that plug can be a pita to get out sometimes...

yeah that plug gave me hell for a while