PDA

View Full Version : New a/c compressor

my89LXihatch
07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I just purchased a remanufactored Kein compressor off of e-bay for my Hatch.The seller claims that it is R-12 or R34 compatable. I have read on the forum that the Kien compressor will not work very long with R-34. Is that the case for replacing the r-12 in an excesting system or all Kein compressors? The r34 would be a lot more economical.

DBMaster
07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
It has to do with the shaft seal. The OEM seal is made out of a material call "Viton." If the reman uses a different material it may be OK for R134a, but you would want to be sure. R134a is a hydrocarbon refrigerant which can disintegrate certain materials over time. Fluorocarbons like R12 were great as refrigerants because they were so inert - which, unfortunately, is given as the reason that they make it to the upper atmosphere to do their "damage."

I would go for a refrigerant like this one

http://hc12ausa.com/

before I would switch to R134a, though. I managed to get six cans of R12 recently for $2.50 each from a guy I know who makes frequent trips to Mexico. I would even entertain the idea of using straight propane (I could get flamed for that.).

my89LXihatch
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the information. I will keep it in mind.

nswst8
07-18-2008, 04:43 AM
I ran R134a in my keihin compressor since 1997, the only problem I had was a weak suction side seal on the compressor that finally gave out this year.

I would check that ebay compressor , I couldn't get the clutch to engage. It looked like it was rebuilt. It just wouldn't work. A buddy of mine said to wap with a hammer if the clutch doesn't engage when a/c switch is turned on.

DBMaster
07-18-2008, 06:35 AM
I have seen them assembled with an air gap (the gap behind the clutch plate) being just a hair too wide. When you turn on the compressor you are energizing an electromagnet that pulls the clutch plate against the pressure plate. I once found that mine would magnetize, hold a wrench against the front of the compressor, but not engage it. It would engage cold, but not hot. You can fix it, but it requires removal of the clutch plate and removal or replacement of shims until you get the proper air gap. The air gap for the Keihin should be between 0.3 and 0.6mm.

my89LXihatch
07-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all the good information.

DBMaster
07-18-2008, 06:41 AM
I have no doubt that the A/C will work with R134a, but with the higher pressures and the type of condenser in our cars you won't be wonderfully happy when it's 100 degrees outside. With all the replacement refrigerants out there that run similar or lower pressures than R-12 the only reason I can see for using R134a is cost. I spare no expense when it comes to A/C! It's just too damn hot here. That's why I got my EPA certification in 1994 (so I could keep buying R-12). I just wish I had stocked up when the stuff was still cheap.

my89LXihatch
07-18-2008, 06:44 AM
I will keep that in mind. Because down here it gets pretty damn hot. I really want to get the best cooling possible. It was not that great before it quit working

my89LXihatch
07-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Well It was a bitch, but I got the new A/C compressor in. I found know leaks, and my brother recharged it with some antique r-12 cans that were in his father in laws garage when he passed.Let me tell you I needed a Parka and a skull cap driving home. Thanks for all the helpful information. You guys rock:cheers:

DBMaster
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
What I really miss about my old Catalina was the 31 degree (not kidding) output from the vents even in 100 degree weather. That's what happens when compressor size knows no limitations! The air on the Accord is OK, but I don't think I will ever find another meat locker on wheels.

my89LXihatch
07-29-2008, 05:40 AM
To be honest I haven't tried it in the heat of the day. We are @ 100 degres more or less right now here on the coast of Georgia. It was dusk when I drove home after replacing the A/C. That makes it feel a lot colder.

86ccord
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I will keep that in mind. Because down here it gets pretty damn hot. I really want to get the best cooling possible. It was not that great before it quit working

i will second that shit.. i took my A/C out for more HP and weight reduction.. and its hotter than hell..LOL

MessyHonda
08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
i will second that shit.. i took my A/C out for more HP and weight reduction.. and its hotter than hell..LOL

i did it cuz it didnt work