PDA

View Full Version : Rear crossmember removal..

codyJDM
07-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Any tips or things I should know before doing it? It seems like its gonna be a bitch to do. The guy at the pick and pull got it off really fast though so idk. Just need some words of wisdom/encouragement. Thanks guys :thumbup:

thegreatdane
07-18-2008, 03:55 AM
It's pretty straight forward, but it's a bit heavy when you have to lift it away.
Just start off by undoing the steering coloumn from the rack inside of the car. And leave the steeringrack bolted to the crossmember.

edit: oh and to undo the steering coloumn you need to loosen both bolts on the middle section between the rack and steering coloumn to be able to pull it off the rack.

codyJDM
07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
It's pretty straight forward, but it's a bit heavy when you have to lift it away.
Just start off by undoing the steering coloumn from the rack inside of the car. And leave the steeringrack bolted to the crossmember.

edit: oh and to undo the steering coloumn you need to loosen both bolts on the middle section between the rack and steering coloumn to be able to pull it off the rack.

Thanks for the help man :thumbup: and to get the rack off entirely I just take the tie rod ends off right?(sorry if I sound like a n00b, I've never done this before lol)

thegreatdane
07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
yea pull them off at the knuckles.

codyJDM
07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Sounds good. Im going to replace my lbj's since Im gonna be pulling them off anyway. Where are the bolts located that I need to loosen to get the column out?

A18A
07-19-2008, 05:00 AM
does the dog bone tq mount hold the engine in place since the rear mount wont be there?

lostforawhile
07-19-2008, 06:20 AM
put a block of wood under the oil pan,then use a floor jack to take pressure off of the engine mounts,the dog bone WILL NOT support the engine,it just takes up torque,it's not an actual motor mount. the universal joint will need to be loosened to get the rack out, it's under the hidden panel in the drivers side floor pan under the carpet. i didn't have to even loosen my colum,i just loosened the pinch bolt on that, and the rack came off,there was enough available movement in the U joint.

codyJDM
07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Theres a "hidden panel"? Does it just unbolt or something? sounds like fun. lol

lostforawhile
07-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Theres a "hidden panel"? Does it just unbolt or something? sounds like fun. lolit's under the carpet flush with the floor pan,it has plastic half turn fasteners you undo them with a straight screwdriver, if you didn't know it was there it would drive you crazy looking for the u joints. they are between the floor pan and the bottom of the car.

codyJDM
07-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Good looking out! :thumbup:

codyJDM
08-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Bringing this back to life.

I Just realized the other day as I was driving, all I have to do is:

1. Disconnect column from rack via hidden panel

2. Disconnect tie rod ends

3. Disconnect all power steering hoses

4. Unbolt rear mount and support motor with floor jack

5. Undo 4 bolts for corssmember and slide the heavy bitch out.

Then I can swap the rack onto the new crossmember out of the car. Shouldn't be too bad, I hope. lol

A18A
08-04-2008, 10:09 AM
indeed :)

codyJDM
08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Just need 2 days off work in a row to get this done.. haha. 35 hours a week is gay.

russiankid
08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Bringing this back to life.

I Just realized the other day as I was driving, all I have to do is:

1. Disconnect column from rack via hidden panel

2. Disconnect tie rod ends

3. Disconnect all power steering hoses

4. Unbolt rear mount and support motor with floor jack

5. Undo 4 bolts for corssmember and slide the heavy bitch out.

Then I can swap the rack onto the new crossmember out of the car. Shouldn't be too bad, I hope. lol
It seems so easy when you talk about it, but once you get to work it takes time. Took me 8 hours to swap out a rack for the first time by myself.

codyJDM
08-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Luckily I'll be swapping the rack off the car. I'm leaving it on the crossmember for removal :D