PDA

View Full Version : how to replace power steering belt?

frantik
07-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok so i was fucking around reving my engine real high trying to scare some stupid pedestrian who was crossing against the green. i drop it into gear at high rpms.. and then i notice my power steering is gone! lol i check the engine bay and the belt snapped

how hard is it to put a new belt on? it's not too bad driving without the PS but i would like it back if all i need to do i put a belt on and it's not a huge pain in the ass

btw my a/c doesnt work so i can cut that belt if i have to to make it easier to install the PS since it looks like a/c is on the outside of the crakshaft pulley

2oodoor
07-18-2008, 10:44 AM
easy as pie if you dont have a belt on the ac, you can do it all from the top. Takes about five minutes.

frantik
07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
i do have the a/c belt but i can cut it like i said. do i just slip the p/s belt on or do i have to remove some shit or what? looking the manual on how to remove the whole pump it says to disconnect the fluid lines, drain the fluid, and then "remove the belt" thats all it says about removing it but i gotta assume i at least need to loosen something up

edit: in the how to on this site is says to loosen the pivot bolt.. where is it? lol

russiankid
07-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Guys the order of the belts go as follows - alt/water pump, A/C, power steering. Power steering belt sits on the outside of the whole pulley, which makes it a breeze to change. You just need a 12mm socket and 14mm socket. A long screw driver helps to retention the belt. If you have a new belt and the tools its a 10 minute job.

There are two bolts. One of the sits on top near the power steering pump pulley. The other one is under the pulley near the bolt that holds the timing belt cover, that one I believe is a 12mm.

frantik
07-18-2008, 11:38 AM
the a/c belt is on the outside i thought.... is the ps pump right at the top of the engine bay next to the radiator or is that the a/c compressor? if not then i have some other problem lol :eek: maybe the sensor is loose in the tranny or something? the fluid level is correct.

it does seem like i have some power assist but it's not as strong as it used to be and immediately after i did the gear drop i had no ps for a little while, then it seemd like it kicked in a lil

i did pull the belt out of the engine bay today maybe it was just getting caught or something. shit i dunno i should go and test drive the car now or something

russiankid
07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
the a/c belt is on the outside i thought.... is the ps pump right at the top of the engine bay next to the radiator or is that the a/c compressor? if not then i have some other problem lol :eek: maybe the sensor is loose in the tranny or something? the fluid level is correct.

it does seem like i have some power assist but it's not as strong as it used to be and immediately after i did the gear drop i had no ps for a little while, then it seemd like it kicked in a lil

i did pull the belt out of the engine bay today maybe it was just getting caught or something. shit i dunno i should go and test drive the car now or something
The power steering pump sits up top. Follow the rubber hose from the reservoir, it will lead you straight to the pump. The belt is a V shaped belt, on the A/C and the alt/water pump the belts are multi-ribbed.

Both the A/C and the power steering pump sit in front of the radiator, except the A/C is below the power steering pump.

greentee76
07-18-2008, 11:45 AM
The p/s pump is the one on the top near the radiator.

frantik
07-18-2008, 11:47 AM
ok well the belt that snapped is the A/c belt then (multi ribbed, goes to the thing below the ps belt which i guess is the a/c compressor) the ps belt is fine. hopefully pulling the belt out of the engine bay will make a difference.. otherwise i have some other issue lol :nervous:

russiankid
07-18-2008, 11:54 AM
ok well the belt that snapped is the A/c belt then (multi ribbed, goes to the thing below the ps belt which i guess is the a/c compressor) the ps belt is fine. hopefully pulling the belt out of the engine bay will make a difference.. otherwise i have some other issue lol :nervous:

I wonder how it snapped if your A/C doesn't even work.

frantik
07-18-2008, 11:57 AM
the a/c compressor is seized (when i turn on the a/c the car goes haywire/wants to stall and smoke comes from the a/c compressor) i suspect it has something to do with that

i'm just hoping the belt snapped recently and that is the cause of the change and not that it's been snapped for a while and is completely unrelated. i have to run some errands in a bit so i will find out if there is a change now that the belt scraps have been pulled from the engine bay.

frantik
07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
eh i dunno if its different or not but it's not the end of the world either way.. seems like it's fine or close to it and the belt would have explained why it cut out for a while and then worked again. it does seem a little weird on the very ends of the wheel but maybe i just need to put air in my tires

A18A
07-19-2008, 06:33 AM
if your p/s isnt working and the belt is okay, i would check the power steering resivoir level, if it empty, you probably have a busted line somewhere, if its full, you probably have a faulty pump. thats all i can think of, unless your steering rack threw a fit

russiankid
07-19-2008, 08:33 AM
if your p/s isnt working and the belt is okay, i would check the power steering resivoir level, if it empty, you probably have a busted line somewhere, if its full, you probably have a faulty pump. thats all i can think of, unless your steering rack threw a fit

Also could be time to replace the fluid. I doubt the pump went because then he would hear funky noises from it as it is just two gears in there and a valve. I am still wondering how the A/C belt snapped, it must have been very very old.

When you mentioned smoke from the A/C compressor, was it because of the belt slipping or what?

lostforawhile
07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
if your pump isn't working you can get a rbuild kit from advance,the only thing bad about the kit,is the seal where the high pressure hose bolts on. i just got another o ring for that one from nappa.

russiankid
07-19-2008, 09:21 AM
if your pump isn't working you can get a rbuild kit from advance,the only thing bad about the kit,is the seal where the high pressure hose bolts on. i just got another o ring for that one from nappa.

I got all of my seals from Majestic Honda. I just looked at the exploded view of the pump and ordered every seal that it showed.

lostforawhile
07-19-2008, 09:21 AM
I got all of my seals from Majestic Honda. I just looked at the exploded view of the pump and ordered every seal that it showed.well thay have a kit,thats what i got and it's been fine.