PDA

View Full Version : lucas power steering stop leak

lostforawhile
07-18-2008, 03:22 PM
this is a quote i put up in the don't use lucas thread,but it might be important as a sticky, the original power steering seals in the car are not compatible with the lucas stop leak. this includes the pump and the rack. if you have a huge leak it might help some,but it will make a small leak much worse. i have heard people say it doesn't hurt the honda seals,it's possible those people have components in their PS system that may contain aftermarket seals.if a rack or pump was rebuilt it may have seals made of a different type material then OEM seals. this post is directed at people with OEM type seals.
oh i forgot to mention never never use the lucas power steering stop leak on these cars!!! DON'T DO IT!!! i had a very small rack leak,nothing major,well i decided to try the lucas to stop it, yea stopped it for a week, after that i had fluid pouring out of the rack,the pump,the speed sensor,and everywhere else there was a seal. it claims to work with all power steering fluid,WRONG!! it swells the seals is how it stops the leak,same with most stop leak products, well this destroys the honda seals in the car. same thing that adding regular PS fluid does to them. just much worse. I ended up replacing the rack,rebuilding the pump,found a way to fix the speed sensor, instant O ring in a tube is great! had to flush the entire PS system to get the shit out. i talked to a lucas rep at the big car show here, he couldn't believe it,imagine that. he said it must have just developed a leak. I aked him whens the last time everything on ta car went from leak free to all leaking in a week? the small leak on one side was all i had,after the lucas had been in there for a week,it was leaking out both ends as well as the pump spewing fluid and the speed sensor. when i took the pump apart,the seals had been turned into tar like goo. even the pump shaft seal. new one was a timken brand seal,so i will see how it holds up.

2oodoor
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Ive never seen it work on anything other than old trucks and even then it slows the leak down for while then it is back at it again.