PDA

View Full Version : B20A auto trans problem

2oodoor
07-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok I am freaking out now. I was planning on using the auto tranny that came with the motor BUT.. this one has shift solenoids on top of the bellhousing> I took them off and they have fluid under them, O gasket, and actually function for something. I thought since this tranny had the throttle cable control that it didn't use shift solenoids. Any body know how I can get around these, I am not using any electronic engine or tranny controls,ecu, etc.. This is a carbed project, and Im using a D16zc dohc vaccuum dizzy for now. HELP
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/P7200201.jpg
also , anybody know what I may be doing wrong with the pics, they are taken with a nice camera, but are losing a LOT of quality from DL them to PC then to photobuckett.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
07-19-2008, 03:10 PM
you need to use auto Ecu and the trany ecu from a 88-91 prelude and you will need to add wire's to run the trany,that why i did not use the auto trany that came with mine b20a.

2oodoor
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
NObody warned me~ arhghhh.
I have to break out a wire harness and controler for a prelude? what does it read? I am not going to be using any fuel inj hardware, MAP sensor?
This sucks donkdonk.
crap I can't use my A20 transs either cause the solenoids are in the bell housing, back to the drawing board...
wanted, 5 speed

AccordB20A
07-19-2008, 04:29 PM
put it in and apply power to both of the solenoids. if your TV cables adjusted right it will work anyway. mine did

2oodoor
07-19-2008, 04:42 PM
put it in and apply power to both of the solenoids. if your TV cables adjusted right it will work anyway. mine did

sweet, I know there has to be a work around for those, 12 volts?
I need to figure out exactly what they do, prelude power does not seem to have much about those.

I noticed this motor has an oil cooler, a can under the oil filter that coolant runs thru. hrmmph.

2oodoor
07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
If this is the same as 3rd gen prelude transmission solenoids, it looks like there is a TCM for carbed preludes. I am not sure what all plugs in as effective. I wonder how I could hack this to get the best benefit of the solenoid feature.
There was going to be an issue for me using the 38 weber in regards to the throttle valve cable since the 38 can cruise with just light pressure on the pedal, then when you want to go I wouldnt want it downshifting always.

carotman
07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Yes, the carbed 88-89 ludes have an ECU.

I noticed that the B20A and A20A auto trannies seem to be the same, The difference lies in the bellhousing. Maybe you can swap the housing from the B20A on an A20A tranny and work around the solenoid problem?

2oodoor
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes, the carbed 88-89 ludes have an ECU.

I noticed that the B20A and A20A auto trannies seem to be the same, The difference lies in the bellhousing. Maybe you can swap the housing from the B20A on an A20A tranny and work around the solenoid problem?

the solenoid and the underneath fluid path are ON the bell housing !
You don't happen to know of a jdm wiring diagram for the accord or is it identical to 89 civic and preludes regarding the extra solenoid controls.

Hauntd ca3
07-22-2008, 10:46 PM
i think those solenoids have something to do with the lock up converter from memory.
just go the 5 spd way

2oodoor
07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
no 5 speeds available Haunted
does anybody have a hydraulic schematic of the JDM auto tranny?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Talk to AccordB20a he can get the B18a bellhousing then you can use the a20a 5speed and make you a trany for your B20a.I was going to buy it from him but you need it more then me.

2oodoor
10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
If anybody knows the fluid path or where I can find a breakdown of where/how these orifices work, please post something.
The round rubber gasket is bad and this leaks so I need to find out if any usdm will work. There are two solenoids that open up the flow beteen both sides (top and bottom hole accordingly) I am sure they are for lock up converter and I was told that if I am not using a TCM I can just wire both solenoids hot to the key switch. If that is so then I wonder if there is another bypass that will retain full functionality of this device.
The picture of the side bell housing shows some cooling vents and several 10 mm bolts holding something, anybody know what it is?
bottom of solenoid block (off the car in this pic)
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1224449806.jpg
top of the tranny with solenoid block off, shows the orifices and one check valve on the right . Note the center hole is for a bolt for the sol. block as are the two on each far end.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1224449812.jpg
side of bell hsg. shows bolts and cooling vents
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1224450061.jpg

carotman
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Honestly, I would just use a TCU and don't worry about anything.

carotman
10-25-2008, 06:19 AM
I have an 88 Prelude shop manual I could send you if you want (pdf format)

It seems to be "easy" to use the Prelude TCU

One is the shift solenoid, the other is the lock up solenoid.

The Prelude uses an "AT speed pulser". Does the Accord has this on the back of the tranny? (another electric connector)

Maybe you can get the real JDM thing. Seeing how many overseas members we have here, I'm sure we can work things out!

2oodoor
10-26-2008, 12:34 PM
^^^ thanks
this is a carbed application on a carbed oem chassis so I don't have any electricals for those TCM (TCU)
The thing is, this transmission is a hybrid of sorts. It only used the lock up solenoid block, otherwise still has the cable just like our USDM 3rd gen.
After thinking about it without any references, It appears that there is fluid bypass with the solenoids off, then fluid runs another channel to operate the lock up when the soleniods are energized. I do not think one is off one is on or anything. Or of course visa versa of what I said ^^^. I think I can control lock up with a switch or just have a relay energize the solenoids off of the D4 light circuit.
If you look at the bottom of the block you can see a channel between the two lower orifices, that is where fluid bypasses. All the other channels you see is where the o ring gasket goes.
The thing I really need to find out is if there are more than more stages of converter clutching besides the rpm driven centrifigal, rpm driven fluid pressure (standard line pressure), and lock up. I don't think any body used that back then though.
I am assuming here that there are two solenoid because one is inlet the other outlet for pressure to pass thru for lock up control. Not two different stages of lock up.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1224449806.jpg

2oodoor
07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
issue was more or less resolved..
I used permatex grey esp for transmissions, to create the gasket for the solenoid block.
I have toggle switches (2) connected to each solenoid. When I get to highway speed and cruising I flip on Sol A then B and it locks up the converter thus dropping rpms by around 300. So I am crusing 70 mph at 3100 instead of 3400 rpm.
When I have to coast down a step grade I turn them off, and they are always off in traffic, coasting, or braking. You can not have them enegized all the time, it will destroy the tranny.

I did not have as much problem with getting the TV cable set to work with the weber 38, as I predicted. It does pretty good but just like the progressive weber, you have to be carefull how far you mash the gas pedel because it will drop down too low of a gear sometimes.
I average around 24 mpg, not too good but works for me.

2ndGenGuy
07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Better than what I got. I got around 15mpg last trip I took to Portland. Car was running pig rich, about 11:1 and sometimes off my O2 sensor scale, even tho it idles just fine at around 14:1... :-/

2oodoor
07-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Better than what I got. I got around 15mpg last trip I took to Portland. Car was running pig rich, about 11:1 and sometimes off my O2 sensor scale, even tho it idles just fine at around 14:1... :-/

sounds like you could use some emulsion tube changes... does it still go pretty good at cruise speed with just very light throttle? Are you using the power valve or is it disabled? I think I need to do that but then I wouldneed to rejet it and I have no wideband at this time. Mine is pretty rich at idle, the carb was set up for 12 valve motor though.