PDA

View Full Version : car dies turning left

Demon1024
07-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I hate to ask this question when it seems relatively obvious that it's a short.

My car has started to cut off when i take a sharp or long fast turn to the left. i've looked for shorts without anything coming up. anyone had a similar problem? any suggestions where to look next? check the engine harness best i can no exposed/frayed wires. could the coil i put on it be doing this? i just thought of the main relay i'm going to check that right now...

Demon1024
07-20-2008, 12:25 AM
not the relay it was changed with a fixed up one already. changed the coil back and it seems to work fine again,we'll see...

frantik
07-20-2008, 01:54 AM
just do three rights instead :thumbup:

Oldblueaccord
07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Make sure your cruise button is off. Its kinda a long shot but my wifes van does it when the button is on not even used.

wp

A18A
07-22-2008, 02:59 PM
just do three rights instead :thumbup:

hahahahaha

Demon1024
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
cruise switch isn't hooked up. i changed the coil plugs and wires and it stopped. i think it was the coil. could this cause a problem like this or did i move something around and got lucky, hopefully the first one. it was really annoying!

Oldblueaccord
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
if its oil filled then yeah it could have been shorting inside.

wp

Demon1024
07-24-2008, 10:44 PM
thank you. it was sitting under an oily car when i picked it up,not extremely but still. you can't take those things apart huh? guess it's junk then...

Oldblueaccord
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
No if its the round looking standard coils they fill them with a special oil and crimp the top on. I guess the oil keeps it cool but the ones I see with the leaks are shot.

Newer and more expensive coils they fill with epoxy resins of sometype so you don't have to keep the up right and vibration does not hurt them.

wp

Demon1024
07-25-2008, 10:02 PM
You have to keep them upright!!! ???? theres something i would ahev liked to know a while back i wonder if any of my other coils still work...

Demon1024
07-28-2008, 12:51 AM
it started doing it again and i haven't done anything to it i noticed it got worse when it started running out out gas.new filters i would guess but why turning left?

otto888man
07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Was anything done before this happened? If not, I would suggest to check the fuel pick up tube it might be bad. Try to fill the tank, then see if the problem goes away.

Demon1024
07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
it does go away when it's full. I swapped fuel pumps with my 88, but it never had this problem. i cleaned the sock.

otto888man
07-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Is it a carb or EFI engine? If it is carb your float might be too low. Check the sight glass if its on the level if its too low the engine will bog down when you either turn left or right. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

jw93ls
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I've got an 84 S-10 with a carb'd 2.8 v-6, and depending on if it want's to annoy me or not (especially when it's cold), when i take a sharp right-hand turn or long at-speed right corner it wants to die. The bowl on my Rochester carb is on the left side of the carb, so when i make a right turn the gas in the bowl is pushed to one side because of inertia; This either causes the float to drop causing a sudden rush of fuel to fill the 'empty' bowl (because the float-level drops) or because the gas is pushed to the far side of the bowl the engine isn't supplied with enough fuel and leans out...which is what happens to me because if i keep my foot on the accelerator (or give it hell and smoke the tires) it doesn't kill the motor. i've only had my 3G for a few weeks and i'm not familiar with the carb but you may want to check the float adjustment and be sure your fuel pump/fuel pressure are adequate.

oh yea...if it's carb'd...f/i no clue!

Demon1024
08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
no it's fi

otto888man
08-02-2008, 04:02 PM
If it is FI check the wiring in the engine compartment see if any of them is tight especially that goes to the engine i.e. ignition components power cables. Did you tried to check the fuel pump sending tube just be sure that it is in good condition & does not have holes.

Demon1024
04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
this turned out to be the coil on my car. replaced with $40 blaster coil. all good now

BITESIZE
04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
My coil did this to my hatchback when I turned left. I changed the coil and it went away.

johnno
04-10-2009, 07:09 PM
i had a 93 corolla and it did the same thing, i had 2 change the fuel tank, sumthin about sum flaps to keep the gas 4rm splashing around in there so when i turned quick like a u turn the gas would go to the other side and it would die... dunno if it wud be the same in ur case but hope i helped

itzdave
04-10-2009, 08:50 PM
ok... my car does kinda wants to die when i turn left as well. i have a blaster2 coil thats only a couple years old but for about a year it wasnt driven. i also have a weber 38 and to best recolection, it still acted the same way when it was the stock carb. do ya think i need to change the coil again?

moliassa
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Your problem is a simple one. You have taken too many left hand turns. As everyone knows Honda is not in NASCAR. And they wont be until after 2011. Your cars left turn sensor has been overloaded. These are the steps you can take to rectify the situation.
1. Remove Battery cables from the positive terminal. Let the car sit for a while. (hood down of course we are not rednecks here)
2. Reinstall the battery cable to the Positive terminal.
3. Start the car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. Turn off car. Move the steering wheel back to center (may be tough with no power assist)
4. Start your car again and turn the wheel all the way to the right. Turn off car, and center the steering wheel. Repeat this step 3 or 4 more times (I do it a total of 5 times just to be sure)
5. After you have completed the above steps, Put some U2 or another import band and find a nice curvy road with equal right and left turns. Drive down the stretch of road a couple of times.
This should resolve your issue. If it does not, you may have a NASCAR sticker stuck somewhere on your car or you might just be a redneck. Sorry no help there!

BE-SOsmooth
07-23-2016, 01:43 PM
i am having this problem but also when i hit the brakes