PDA

View Full Version : Quick question.

HONDA TEEJ
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
can I remove my valve cover to paint it?
or should I paint it with it still on

Thanks
peace

turabaka
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes. Remove the valve cover to paint it. You'll probably have to buy a new gasket, but it'll look a thousand times better if you take it off, and prep it properly first.

Civic Accord Honda
07-20-2008, 02:29 PM
yeah i painted mine the frist time with it on (cuz i was to cheap to buy a 8$ gasket.) and it came out like crap and i later had to redo with it off

HONDA TEEJ
07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Ok. Putting a new gasket on isn't that hard right?
Also do I need to drain the oil or anything?

I want to pressure wash all of the old black paint off. So I think it would be alot easier to be able to take it off.

turabaka
07-20-2008, 04:17 PM
no you don't need to drain the oil, and yes putting a new gasket on is easy.

Civic Accord Honda
07-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok. Putting a new gasket on isn't that hard right?
Also do I need to drain the oil or anything?

I want to pressure wash all of the old black paint off. So I think it would be alot easier to be able to take it off.
gasket is easy as pie mayne and no u dont need to drain any oil lol :D:D

RamThis
07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
What type of paint are you going with? Is it a stamped steel valve cover or the aluminum cast cover?

You need to make sure you sand off ALL loose paint, and scuff it with about 600 grit paper, then clean it with windex, then some alcohol, to remove all organic and non-organic contaminants, then spray on a couple coats of BullDog Adhesion Promoter, then use some good automotive touch up paint in spray form, preferrably a base coat/clear coat system. Two coats of base, three thin coats of clear, with at least a half hour flash time between coats so as not to get runs in the paint.

turabaka
07-20-2008, 05:17 PM
^^ you could do what he said, or you could do what I did. Just spray it a few times with aircraft remover to get all the paint off, then wash it really well and spray it with high temp engine paint. Then bake it in the oven for the amount of time it says to. It turns out looking really nice. Here's a pic of what mine looks like.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/turabaka/DSC_0054.jpg

86ccord
07-21-2008, 05:43 AM
yeah take it off.. sand and prep it really well. or it will look horrible, i used heat paint. ill have a picture later.. but also when you take it off put like and old rag over top of the valves so dirt and stuff wont fall into it.. and just go paint!!

good luck,

sp.