PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get a little torque steer

w261w261
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
The SE-i has 207k on it now. I've been good about replacing stuff when needed, but I've also had it for 7 years, so for instance, maybe the radius rod (a/k/a strut rod) bushings are getting a little worn. I put them on right after I bought the car at 84k, but it wasn't because of drifting on/off the power, it was because they were banging.

The torque steer is still very mild, but is slowly increasing as whatever it is gradually wears. Slight drift to the right on the power, slightly to the left when power is released.

One thing that I have never touched is the steering linkage. I was wondering if the end links might be wearing some? I had a mechanic push and pull under there, but he can't find anything....it needs some serious dynamic force to get it to move I guess.

Anyone have any suggestions? Strut rod bushings, steering links? The stabilizer bar bushings are brand new, as are the upper/lower arms. There isn't much else, right?

thx

tenchimuyo93
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
ive got the same problem but pulls left under power and runs straight off power...... have yet to understand why as i havent found the reason why yet.

2oodoor
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I would check the front and rear trans mount, may be giving a little. Also try temporarily switching the right and left front tires.
also I understand you eliminate alot of TS if you converted teh left axle to the intermediate type used on Integras and Preludes.

MessyHonda
07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
yeah check your mounts and when was the last time you got an alignment

Oldblueaccord
07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42403&highlight=Strut+rod+bushings

do the front end check too and see whats else is loose.

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness at the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints and upper links. There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

wp