PDA

View Full Version : 86 lxi electrical probem.

moonjaw2002
07-24-2008, 10:38 AM
While driving back from the lake yesterday my tach and guages and dash lights stopped working.I still have brake lights,no turn signals.The car starts and runs fine.I checked the battery cables and fuses,no bad fuses.I pulled the bottom dash and checked the fuse box and connections,everything was good.Still have no guages or interior lights.
Anyone have a clue,searched befor posting and found nothing.Mark

2oodoor
07-24-2008, 11:26 AM
that usually winds up being the ignition switch, contacts inside get arc-ed and grease gets dryed up. Those can be taken apart and repaired sometimes depending on how bad the arc burnt the contacts.

moonjaw2002
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the tip.I cleaned the ignition switch and could not see any black burnt spots.It has two contacts that have more wear than the rest.Still no guages or turn signals.Mark

Oldblueaccord
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Pull the related fuses and check for power with a test light or DM on the fuse terminals and see if there power there. Recheck the fuses with the DM if you can or just put a new fuse in.

I'm not sure how the guages and turn signals are related at this point.

wp

lostforawhile
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
it's the circuit your back up lights are on. thats the same circuit that is for the gauges check for shorts or a blown bulb in there.

lostforawhile
07-25-2008, 12:50 PM
While driving back from the lake yesterday my tach and guages and dash lights stopped working.I still have brake lights,no turn signals.The car starts and runs fine.I checked the battery cables and fuses,no bad fuses.I pulled the bottom dash and checked the fuse box and connections,everything was good.Still have no guages or interior lights.
Anyone have a clue,searched befor posting and found nothing.Marki also think that fuse is in the underhood fuse box, i can't remember what it's called but all the things out are on the same fuse.

samuri88
07-31-2008, 01:17 PM
i also think that fuse is in the underhood fuse box, i can't remember what it's called but all the things out are on the same fuse.

i had the same prob it was in the fuse box never found out what it was but i replaced the fuse box an it solved the prob took the old one apart rebilt it and the prob is gone now it is the main relay is go bad and i want to fix it but the site it was on is now gone hope i helped if not o well

lostforawhile
07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
see if your back up lights work, have to have the key on,if they are out too,it's the fuse, i know it sounds crazy for the tach and gauges to be out, with the backup lights,but thats how it's wired. when you turn on the key does only one or two of the warning indicators come on for the bulb check?

DBMaster
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
i had the same prob it was in the fuse box never found out what it was but i replaced the fuse box an it solved the prob took the old one apart rebilt it and the prob is gone now it is the main relay is go bad and i want to fix it but the site it was on is now gone hope i helped if not o well

Are you talking about a site to buy one, or a how-to on fixing it? I know that Rock Auto and Majestic Honda both sell them, among others. When mine went bad I got the old one working by prying off the black plastic cover and spraying the guts liberally with electronic tuner cleaner. Some here have resoldered the solder joints with success. I just say for $40 is it worth messing around? Maybe.

moonjaw2002
08-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks for your help guys.When i was checking fuses i missed one.Under the dash top row,second 10 amp fuse in a row of 3 or 4.It is such a pain to see.Everything is working again,Thanks,Mark