PDA

View Full Version : What is the hardest thing you've done on your Accord?

Bass Man
07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I swapped motors, changed CV joints, replaced my radiator, but I must say, the hardest thing I've ever done on any car was....

REPLACING THE REAR BRAKES!!

Nothing compares to that! I spent 2 hours on 1 horse-shoe clip for the E-brake, and getting everything bad together was crazy hard without the right tools.

DBMaster
07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I definitely agree with the fact that these are some of the most difficult drum brakes out there. I thought changing the high pressure power steering hose was pretty tough. My second timing belt change turned into an ordeal as well. I find that so many years go by before something has to be done again that it's often like doing it for the first time all over again.

Bass Man
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, I've done many drum brakes, and these are esspecially difficult! In my Samurai, I can change the whole thing; wheel cylinder and all in about 20 minutes. I haven't replaced a timing belt yet, but if it is like all the other Honda's/FWD cars, then I could only imagine it's pretty hard.

Pico
07-24-2008, 04:51 PM
For me the hardest was doing the swap from A/T to 5 speed, the trans. swap was a breeze since we we;re installing my rebuilt eng. at the time. It was those damm pedals that was a pain to do

Bass Man
07-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Lol. Putting the engine in was easy... Wiring was a different story!
Man it's nice to enjoy wiring! I wish I had a harness to work on right now, but making all the special links and axles to get a B16 in would be extra hard.

Civic Accord Honda
07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
iv striped a whole 3g down even lifted out a block and still the hardest thing i have done was install the transmission

tenchimuyo93
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
the hardest thing ive done to it was replacing the speedometer cable {for previous owner}.......... something i planed 20min for took 3 hours. after i called in reinforcements, so i could stay under the dash while they fished it thru the cluster, it was cake.

rear brakes on these cars arent that bad to me, can do both side in 30min.

russiankid
07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Hardest thing for me would be the coolant hoses under the intake manifold. After that it would be the transmission. Rear brakes are a breeze when you have rear discs:D.

86ccord
07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
The hardest thing ive probably done in my opinion was to replace my whole rack n pinion (( spelling? )) steering system.. they just barely make enough room to fit it in there.. it was a real crapper..

:)

greentee76
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Lets see, Swapping OEM carbs was a PITA. Vacuum trees and all in the way. The nuts on the bottom of the intake manifold flange suck. But the only thing I have actually failed at was changing the O2 sensor. No good way to get a wrench on the damn thing or have any throw when you do. But since I've changed to the weber I don't need it anymore and definately won't after I get a header.

russiankid
07-24-2008, 06:21 PM
The hardest thing ive probably done in my opinion was to replace my whole rack n pinion (( spelling? )) steering system.. they just barely make enough room to fit it in there.. it was a real crapper..

:)

I bet now you can do it an about two hours. That is how I am now, first time it took me 8 hours to do it by myself.

86ccord
07-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I bet now you can do it an about two hours. That is how I am now, first time it took me 8 hours to do it by myself.

yeah man, that was a real PITA, it was only my dad and i doing it.. it sucked ass...

Bass Man
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I didn't think you could replace those hoses unless the motor was out :P

russiankid
07-24-2008, 07:06 PM
I didn't think you could replace those hoses unless the motor was out :P

The ones under the intake? Heh, the one running to the carb with the bypass valve was not to hard. I had my brother look at the hose and clamp from up top and he would tell me where to put put the pliers to get the clamp off. The hose behind the water pump required the removal of the water pump pulley, moving the alternator back(firewall) as far as possible, then removing the alternator bracket and having a nightmare getting the clamp off as it faces upward. Eventually my brother and I got tired of the clamp and cut the hose off, and some how it just came right off. Installation was probably the easiest part, even the clamp.

Overall, it is worth it. Now I don't worry about those hoses, the old ones were dry rotted.

A18A
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
aligning the headlights toe be 100% perfect on a 3g thats been crashed :rant:

rust removal also sucks if you want to do it right for $0

DBMaster
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
This amuses me for some reason. For just about everyone I know the most difficulty they have had in repairing their cars was either finding a Starbucks close by or figuring out how to pay the shop. We should all feel very good about being members of a dying breed - the repair culture.

russiankid
07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
This amuses me for some reason. For just about everyone I know the most difficulty they have had in repairing their cars was either finding a Starbucks close by or figuring out how to pay the shop. We should all feel very good about being members of a dying breed - the repair culture.

I don't trust anyone else to do repairs. I pay close attention to detail to make sure everything is done right.

greentee76
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Amen to that!
I always have more time than money. This is also the reason I say I will never get rid of this car. I know how to fix it.

mushroom_toy
07-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Hardest thing ive done that should have been easy but instead of buying dry Ice I did it by hand, was chipping out all of the sound deadening in the trunk/under the rear seat. In combined days it probably took me about 4 complete days. Then I used dry ice on the rest of the car and it took like 2 hours. XD

Civic Accord Honda
07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Hardest thing ive done that should have been easy but instead of buying dry Ice I did it by hand, was chipping out all of the sound deadening in the trunk/under the rear seat. In combined days it probably took me about 4 complete days. Then I used dry ice on the rest of the car and it took like 2 hours. XD
i did the backseat one yesterday took me about a hour with a scarper and no dry ice :| and it only took me like 30mins to do the trunk

2oodoor
07-25-2008, 04:42 AM
anything under the dash would qualify :burn:

the hardest thing Ive done that took me way longer that it should have was removing and installing the intake manifold with the head still in the car.

bullard123
07-25-2008, 06:21 AM
By far the B20A swap. Started from scratch

Toneloc5145
07-25-2008, 06:59 AM
The rear drum brakes are definitely up there with hard things to do. The clutch wasn't hard, but man was it tedious. Took us 2 full days because it was 20F outside, and we had no garage heater then.

Accordtheory
07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Wheel bearings are little bundles of joy, also.

gfrg88
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
gonna have to say the bottom bolts from the intake manifold. man, that was huge PITA!!

Low_Rida
07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
When i bought my car the guy said it had a wiring problem so i ripped out every wire, engine, dash, lights, every single wire and after buying new ones i had no idea where to start, finally after 2 days of hell of reinsalling. I find out it was not wiring that was bad at all. the battery clamp for the negitive side wasn't tightened.

I have even had mechanics lead me in the wrond direction before, its a piss off.
This is just to tell you all don't listen to anyone about a car unless they are from 3Geez.
:banghead:

A18A
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
oh man thats total ownage

tenchimuyo93
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM

i just dont thrust the idiots at the local shops anymore, one day while being in lazy mode i took my 90 T-Bird up to get a tune up. once they said that the back 3 on the car is why the price was so high {got quote first} i was WTF are on smokeing its a RWD and they wanted to argue with me. so i went outside and smoked the rear tires right infront of the store. they came running out and ask WTF i was doing. i quietly said said nothing cause a FWD T-Bird cant spin the rear wheels. after that i refuse to go anywhere except for an alignment.

turabaka
07-25-2008, 02:19 PM
gonna have to say the bottom bolts from the intake manifold. man, that was huge PITA!!

oh man yes. The hardest part of doing a weber swab is putting the damned intake manifold back on. Why in the hell did they make those bottom bolts almost unreachable?

2oodoor
07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
oh man yes. The hardest part of doing a weber swab is putting the damned intake manifold back on. Why in the hell did they make those bottom bolts almost unreachable?

hell, I had the B20 out of the car, easy direct on access, and still had a hard time getting those bottom bolts off the FI manifold !!!
The carb manifold at least you can swing the alternator out of the way for the first four bolts, then take off the PVC tube from the separator to get to that next to the last one towards #4. Thank goodness for gearwrenchs and six point sockets. Also , I use a Mopar pushrod V8 heater by pass hose to put back on the oil separator and pvc valve holder, that angles it out the back side and is much easier to work with.
There are way too many razor sharp added on brackets and stuff on these cars. I tried to remove every single one of them, I will tie wrap that stuff if I have too. It really looks like some one guy engineer just had to figure out how to mount a bunch of loose sh*t after everybody else had their devices planned under the hood and he had nothing but tuna can metal to work with.

Bass Man
07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I forgot about that nut on the bottom of the manifold; I thought all you guys were talking about the supports for the manifold.

Accordtheory
07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I actually made a special tool just for that type of shit. It's just the last 2" or so of a crescent wrench welded onto a piece that fits a 3/8 drive. So it's basically like an extended "crow's foot" thing, except it fits all the way around the nut/bolt. It enables you to get at shit you can't with a normal socket/swivel socket, or crescent wrench.

ghettogeddy
07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
um swapping my entire aftermarket stuff from the lx to the hatch lol took me like a week lol

but really the hardest install ive done so far was the cam gear with the help of pico
we just could not get that sucker lined up at all

SZfiftyfour
07-25-2008, 08:54 PM
82-83 accords are the easiest cars i've ever worked on. Just about anything can be done within an hour start to finish. Replacing the clutch took a good little while though. So i'll say the clutch on a 2g.
I'm sure that will change when i start digging into the 3g. :nervous:

AccordB20A
07-26-2008, 12:45 AM
installing the efi tank and lines was what i had trouble with. the tank was a cunt

Bass Man
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
So If I were to buy a "wrecked" 89 lxi for $300, would it be worth it to swap to FI when I have an 88 LXI long block and Weber 32/36? It already feals dang fast, but I might consider turbo in the next couple years, and that's gonna be a pain.

Tomisimo
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Welding all rust underneath the car, from front arches to the trunk.. Cancer free tho now.. only took me few weeks.. Ouh and install all 4doors, wasint easy because of the car is so ol, that all doors are sagging and hinges are slack.. well try that for a change ;) to make that perfect line and all doors close like they were on the new car.. finger touch now FTW ;)

Bass Man
07-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Can you put a clutch in a 3g without taking the motor out?

Pico
07-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Can you put a clutch in a 3g without taking the motor out?

Yes you can

Civic Accord Honda
07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes you can yep

2oodoor
07-29-2008, 03:54 AM
82-83 accords are the easiest cars i've ever worked on. Just about anything can be done within an hour start to finish. Replacing the clutch took a good little while though. So i'll say the clutch on a 2g.
I'm sure that will change when i start digging into the 3g. :nervous:

I will have to toast to that one, a while back I put a clutch on a 2gee 84 accord. This was way before I caught 3geezianititus btw... that was a SOB job working in the dirt, I was cussing Honda even then for all those little 10mm attaching fasteners on every little piece of bracket for who knows what.. having to remove them just to gain access to something.

A18A
07-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Yes you canyep
yeah

dinhscot
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
the hardest thing i done with my Accord was trying to get Layed. But i'm living proof that can be done. Wish the back of the accord was more roomier :thumbup:

2oodoor
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
doesn't the back seat fold down? it says on not in....
ahhh hha haha the hardest thing thread , rofl this isn't OTX

87roach
08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Putting in the fuel line for efi swap.. thats a son of a b.

Bass Man
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm glad you said something^^ I was planning on Swapping.

A18A
08-01-2008, 06:38 PM
that sounds like the fun part to me, that will prolly change when it comes time to do it though. just need to find me a carbed car :)

carotman
08-02-2008, 06:13 AM
There's not much anything "hard" to do on these cars honestly, provided you have a ratchet set an hammer and a pair of long nose pliers.

The most PITA thing I did was to remove the front lower arms. The bolts in the X-Member were stuck in the bushing and snapped. I had to cur the lower arm in place to be able to remove it.

In fact, everything with rusted/snapped bolts will be hard :D

87roach
08-02-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm glad you said something^^ I was planning on Swapping.

It may not sound that difficult but you pretty much have to have everything out of the way to run the line(OEM style, which I prefer). This includes dash, pedals, the mat one the firewall, half the carpet and whatever else.. luckily for me half of the stuff was already out of the car.

dinhscot
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
For people who live the rust belt state fixing anything can be a major pain because every bolt is rusted.. and they usally snap if taken off or they don't come off. People who live in southern State (such as FL, Texas, AZ, Cali) got it good. Car body always last longer and even the hours in the day last a wee bit long too. Thats one reason why i move from Michigan to Southern NJ.