PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the carb

Immeraufdemhund
09-23-2002, 01:01 PM
I have a 82 honda civic. (1500cc). We sent the car to get looked at because it wouldn't start up after we did a tune up.. it died even before we did the tune up, but it needed it anyway. It would work for a little bit after the tune up, but it sounded like we put the plugs on wrong.. (which i dowbt could happen because we numbered and did it one by one...) So anywho, we brought it to a mechanic who said that the timing was off and the carb was "tired". So he re did it. Well when i was driving it home it didn't have any of the power it used to have. Slower than snot. So when my grandpa came (he's been working on cars forever) he took a look at it and said the carb was not adjusted right. Now i'm wondering, since it looks like i might have to bring it to honda, how easy is it to check and adjust the carb? I have mild experiance with working on cars. I could use a haynes manual, but i havne't seen one around. Is there a similar year to mine that i could just read off of?

ACCORD EX
09-23-2002, 01:37 PM
try checking the carb faqs and howto's the FAQ and how to sections and see what you can get !
does it hesitate when you floor it while driving ?

MIKE

A20A1
09-23-2002, 01:57 PM
82 Honda Civic (1488cc) 1.5 L - 3bbl Keihin.

Immeraufdemhund
09-23-2002, 05:02 PM
no hesitating. It does have a big problem though taking off and accelerating. Also it's just not as fast as it used to be.

ACCORD EX
09-24-2002, 02:33 AM
try messing with the A/F mixture screw ! don't know where it is on the civic ! :(

MIKE

shepherd79
09-24-2002, 06:39 AM
take it to honda dealer. if it doesn't work after that play with it on your own.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-24-2002, 06:45 AM
I would take it to the dealer.

ACCORD EX
09-24-2002, 09:14 AM
sorry i haven't thought about the dealer thing while i don't have a dealer here ! :D

MIKE

A20A1
09-25-2002, 06:15 PM
how did he adjust your timing?

Immeraufdemhund
09-30-2002, 06:17 AM
I didn't do the timing. We sent it to a guy and he fooled around with it. He noticed that after he put on a new carb that the timing was off so he said he adjusted it. I dont know what he did.

A20A1
09-30-2002, 05:05 PM
the new carb should not effect ignition timing, unless ithe carb was not set prpoerly or it has a leak...
Since manifold vacuum changes the amount of timing/ignition advance, but it does not change the base timing... if the carb was not working properly or there was a vacuum leak, then manifold vacuum would be low and ignition/timing advance would be less... you would notice lack of power and slow acceleration.

The best thing to do is set the distributor to its proper igniton timing. normally that means you have to have access to a timing light and a shop manual for your car... within the first few sections there is a page on setting timing.
Once that is set up right and if power is still bad, check for vacuum leaks and make sure the carb is set properly... like the float level and air fuel mixture screw... also unhook the vacuum line at the distributor end and hook it to a vacuum guage. you should read between 18" - 22"

if everything is ok and your idle speed is fine... then advance your distributor... turn it about 3mm counter clockwise. lower your idle speed as needed.

POS carb
09-30-2002, 06:52 PM
put a weber 34/36 progressive on that bitch!! :super:

A20A1
09-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Are you getting the 38 from PAUL... he said he's puting one on his B20..