PDA

View Full Version : Very Big Problem JDM Accord 86, Oil from AT

Teratani
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi!

Somebody remember my previous problem about AT and torque converter.
The problem solved ok. Now after 3 weeks I drove the car this morning I take a little ride and gear won't change at all. I open hood and check....DISASTER there was AT oil everywhere in the AT side (near battery). It seems oil was spill off. I checked where I've parked car this night and there was a huge spot of oil in the ground. The oil is red.

I ckecked level oil from AT and engine. Both are down......so wath's happened?? I very disappointing about this cause I think there is something related to mechanic guy work on.

Before this previous week engine oil has gone down...also this is very strange. I have ride about 1000km(650miles) from the last change oil. The car doesn't smoke at all.

This is very very sad. :(

Teratani
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Adding this AT is different from the one from A20A or A16A. The code is N6...it's pretty similar to transmission from Prelude 3 (BA4). There are 2 oil cooler hose going to radiator.

A18A
07-25-2008, 10:33 AM
hopefully its just sopmething small like one of the hoses that go between the gearbox & radiator have came off

Teratani
07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
hopefully its just sopmething small like one of the hoses that go between the gearbox & radiator have came off

Hi, your sign is :thumbup:

Also do u have a JDM as your nickname say A18A :)

So I very worry about this cause BOTH oil (engine and AT) are down. I've checked all hose going from AT and radiator. Then there is a hose to radiator (the one in the middle of radiator) that oil flow a little....by the way I scare about try to put more AT fluid, start engine and see if the oil go out from there...

ghettogeddy
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi, your sign is :thumbup:

Also do u have a JDM as your nickname say A18A :)

So I very worry about this cause BOTH oil (engine and AT) are down. I've checked all hose going from AT and radiator. Then there is a hose to radiator (the one in the middle of radiator) that oil flow a little....by the way I scare about try to put more AT fluid, start engine and see if the oil go out from there...

i would drain out all the oil thats still there clean it up real real well
fill it back up and see where its coming from theirs only a few places on a at tranny that oil can leak fill plugs could be striped or your missing one but if you clean it up real nice get all the old oil off
refill with new oil and just start it up and watch you will be able to see were its coming from

Oldblueaccord
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Check for damage underneath to the trans itself and look for bolts loose trans to engine.

Like and idiot I ran over a dump truck driveshaft the other day and took a huge chunk off the trans case on the wife 92 Accord.

wp

tenchimuyo93
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
UV dye could also help for seeping leaks. i use it like a religion. and has helped alot on leaks i couldnt even begin to see where they began from.

2oodoor
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
If you are losing that much ATF , It will be obvious, UV light dye will be uneccesary.
Most likely it is one of the cooling lines that go to the radiator. All Auto trans have two by the way.
Also check the fill plug, axle shaft seals, and speed sensor area.
ATF leaking from the cooler hoses won't show up much till it is running and in gear.
The engine oil leak is a whole other deal. The most common areas are dist shaft, oil filter adapter housing to block, valve cover, oil pump under the timing cover, cam seal under the cover, oil plug.
You should get some citrus degreaser and clean it all underneath the best you can.Let it drip dry a while... Then park with some cardboard underneath the whole front of the car.

tenchimuyo93
07-25-2008, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=roodoo2;890666]If you are losing that much ATF , It will be obvious, UV light dye will be uneccesary.
[QUOTE]

true, but if you get the big problem fixed and then have smaller leaks that are hard to track down or multiple small leaks that look like one big one, it would help alot.

Teratani
07-27-2008, 02:08 AM
If you are losing that much ATF , It will be obvious, UV light dye will be uneccesary.
Most likely it is one of the cooling lines that go to the radiator. All Auto trans have two by the way.
Also check the fill plug, axle shaft seals, and speed sensor area.
ATF leaking from the cooler hoses won't show up much till it is running and in gear.
The engine oil leak is a whole other deal. The most common areas are dist shaft, oil filter adapter housing to block, valve cover, oil pump under the timing cover, cam seal under the cover, oil plug.
You should get some citrus degreaser and clean it all underneath the best you can.Let it drip dry a while... Then park with some cardboard underneath the whole front of the car.

ATF problem solved, it was really a hose oil cooler warn out. :)

Now remains engine oil. The car has a oil consumption itself true, but in 2k km she drink about 3L engine oil, it's too much. Car doesnt' smoke at all or anyway very little at cold start or when I release trottle at high rpm, about 3000-3500 (I can see it him when my dad drove it last time in the highway, from my car behind). Too much oil go down so I can't think is only oil consumption but there is a leak. The parts that u say are completely sputtered by engine oil, but it seems leak start from hose that go from valve cover to air filter (near alternator). And also I need to clean this parts firstly.
If I can make a photo I'll post u.

carotman
07-27-2008, 05:49 AM
Hmmm check the PCV valve. If it's clogged, it will build a lot of pressure in the bottom of the engine and can cause an oil burning scenario.

Oldblueaccord
07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
The hose to the air cleaner getting oil in it is blow-by caused by worn piston rings. The oil consumtion you describe also sounds like worn piston-rings.

wp

Teratani
08-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Sorry for late my reply.

Now I can explain better the situation about engine oil burning, cause I drove behind my dad 2 days ago.

Car smoke most of the cases when car is on downhill...when release throttle it starts very little smoke, but when re-press throttle car release a lot of smoke. Then the situation goes normal after 50-100m.
When car is on plain this work come out very very lower.
When car is on uphill this work isn' t come out at all.
After 100km at speed about 80-100km/h (about 50mph-60mph) we've checked oil level and it wasn't go down, so I can say burning oil is not too much

Also if I park car in downhill for some hours, when I restart is a big problem....a lot of smoke come out and for some seconds car works on 3 cylinders... This work is proportional to downhill inclination percentage.

So if I park on plain or uphill, everything is ok.

I can't take a picture of engine bay where I see leaks...
Anyway I can see clearly leaks come out from "Blow-By-case" hose from valves train to air filter. We've checked "Blow-By-Filter" and was completely stuck (22 years old :) ). It's fresh engine oil, so the leaks is real. Anyway if I change Blow-By Filter, oil leaks shouldn't go into carburetor? And if it's so, this sholudn't be a disaster for carburetor?

Another interesting news: compression test of engine is ok (Honda dealer made it).

So, what shoul i do? If it's piston rings worn out, it' a bad idea continue driving car like this? Or add engine oil when it's go down is the simplest way?

-Another Question. I would change far thermosensor placed in the bottom of radiator, but I scare cause radiator is old and if I remove thermosensor I wouldn't make some scratch on radiator. The matter now is fan is wired as run for all time at ignition start.
I've just replace the same part on '88 Prelude (about same years old) and everything was ok.