PDA

View Full Version : NTB techs leave much to be desired.

accordlx
05-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Today I went in to get my wheels balanced on my car. Normally, that would not be big news but this is the 3rd time in 10 DAYS!!

Thats right. 3 TIMES IN 10 DAYS!! This was at National Tire and Battery.

The first time, I went in for a rotation and a balance. I figured why not, it's been 15,000 miles since I got the tires and they need balanced anyways so lets let the other guy crack those lug nuts.

Anyways, I go in there and they rotate and balance and I drive home. I'm not more than 2 miles from the shop and I hear a noise in my wheel wells like when a rock hits up inside your wheel well. I immediately notice the car start to vibrate a little. I thought maybe it was just a rock stuck in my tire or something because the vibration was not that bad. I had to work and finally made it back down there on Monday. I told them what happened and they rechecked the front wheels. They rebalanced again and everything was fine. I figured that it was just a bad weight they stuck on the wheel and it was no big deal.

Then yesterday, I drove to Dayton. (about 200 miles there and back) By the time I got back, the car was shakin' worse than when I took it back the 2nd time.

This time I was pissed. I went back into NTB and told them that one of the front and one of the back wheel weights were missing after only 48 hours. I went in there and pretty much made a scene. They put me in front of 15 people (to probably shut me up) and stuck my car on the rack.

Anyways, every tire was missing at least one weight. One tire on the back had no balancing weights on it at all. I looked at one of the weights that was on one of the rims still and it was for a Honda rim. I took the weight off with my bare hand. It literally fell off the rim.

I can't understand why it would take 3 trips to the tire store and 4 different technicians to balance my tires and none of them noticed that they were using Honda weights and not aftermarket weights? They didnt even notice it, I DID !!

What a bunch of idiots.
:rant:

TeKKnoTeKK
05-08-2002, 06:56 PM
well I won't be taking my car there anytime soon...hehe. I take mine to D&R tire, I know the people that work there and they always do a great job.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Yeah the people at walmart aren't much different. I still have a problem to, grrr When I get new tire's I'll try America's tire.

Jerren
05-08-2002, 07:12 PM
damn, and thats where i get all of my suspension/wheel/and tire issues handled. i'm assuming they do a good job. they get me in and out quickly most of the time. i'll start watching a little more closely from now on.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-08-2002, 07:17 PM
Jim you took your car to walmart to have work done? :eek: I didn't even know they had service shops

Jims 86LXI HB
05-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Yeah, at least here in california they do. For $45 I got the rims and tires I got off the internet, mounted and balanced. Included a lifetime balancing and free rotations. But they suck so, lesson learned.:(

AccordChemist
05-08-2002, 08:06 PM
i goto big-o tire for all my balancing mounting and alignment needs. they are a very respectable place. they do excellent work. but they are expensive. it cost me $100 to get four 205/40 tires mounted/balanced. but you know the saying. you get what you pay for....

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-09-2002, 01:02 AM
Damn I guess I won't be going there either :rolleyes:

My mom and I have always gotten tires & stuff through Discount Tire and really have only had 1 problem. That was about 3-4 years ago, back when my mom owned the '89 and she got new tires put on (and they're the ones that are still on there today, without a single flat :D ), they torqued the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs instead of 80 and warped the rotors. But it was fixed and we've never had a problem with them since, so it's all good.

About the Wal Mart thing, reminds me of an experience a friend had. She took her Mazda 626 in there for a wheel balance, and after driving around for a couple days it started shaking again. She had her boyfriend look at it, and he took his finger and could slide the wheel weights around the rim, hehe. Needless to say, she hasn't gone back there since :werd:

MoonScryer
05-10-2002, 06:51 AM
I either go to one of two places: Butler Tire, expensive, but they did my suspension, did it right the first time, and are good at it. Pay retail for good tires, but they got Kumo's Toyo's, etc., and the good ones all the way the lines.

If I want cheap, but good used tires, I got to Bill's New and Used tires in Anderson SC. I got two Masters tires, one Pirelli, and some other for $62 balance/mounted. I have never had a problem with tires or work done there. Sometimes it pays to go to the country boys. Just ask my mechanic. He dosen't have most his teeth :D

A20A3Power
05-10-2002, 07:33 PM
i mount/balance tires all the time, and it helps a lot to clean off the brake dust with brake cleaner or at least wipe them down..because the wheel weights dont stick to dirt and grime...

guaynabo89
05-17-2002, 06:25 PM
You have to realize these kids probably just get hired and don't know much about what they're doing.

The ones who do know what they're doing just tell the new kids to go do it.:rolleyes:

Thats why whenever I go in there i stand around and watch what they're doing.

accordlx
05-19-2002, 09:59 AM
I understand that the guys balancing wheels havent been around as long as say the alignment guys. I also know that balancing wheels is not rocket science. It's easier than say, replacing your alternator or putting on a valve cover gasket.
The only basic knowledge that you have to know is how to run the machine and know what weights to use on the wheels.
You would think that since my rims have American Racing written right in the middle of the bolt covers that you would be able to figure out that they are aftermarket wheels. I didnt figure he would "F" that up.

BTW. I NEVER let anyone work on my car anyways EXCEPT for when they have to use some sort of equipment (i.e. wheel balancer, alignment rack, etc.) that I don't have access to. I do not trust anyone with my car. Every time I have, they screw it up.

guaynabo89
05-21-2002, 07:53 AM
I know exactly what you mean.:D