PDA

View Full Version : alternator problems

import racer
07-26-2008, 05:17 PM
well i go out to start the car this morning and after it starts i get a squealing and then smoke from under hood.turns out the alt seized up and took out the belt.took off the alt and pulled off the back cover and lubed the bearing,got it turning ok and put it back on with belt off other car.started up ok but batt light stayed on,guess i need an alt.tried to get the one off the other car but couldn't get pivot bolt out,don't even know if fi one will work on my carbed car.any ideas.

russiankid
07-26-2008, 05:47 PM
well i go out to start the car this morning and after it starts i get a squealing and then smoke from under hood.turns out the alt seized up and took out the belt.took off the alt and pulled off the back cover and lubed the bearing,got it turning ok and put it back on with belt off other car.started up ok but batt light stayed on,guess i need an alt.tried to get the one off the other car but couldn't get pivot bolt out,don't even know if fi one will work on my carbed car.any ideas.

The EFI alternator is different as it has a 4-pin output where as the carburetor motor has a 3-pin output. I am not sure if the EFI alternator puts out more amps or not.

AccordB20A
07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
The smoke would have Ben from the regulator/rectifiers burning out aswell as the belt breaking. there would have been a dead short in the regulator that would have caused the alternator not to spin thats my opinion anyway. i have had it happen before to me.

find another alternator and replace the whole thing i recon

jenkinsauto
07-26-2008, 09:52 PM
My Car Is Carb And It Takes The Efi Alt.they Both Put Out The Same Amps The Regulator Are Just Different.carb Takes A 3 Prong And Efi Takes The 4 Prong.

xxxfrankensteinxxx
07-26-2008, 09:57 PM
no efi puts out 10 more amps which is good, just switch the voltage regulator if it isnt fried

import racer
07-27-2008, 01:25 PM
i took the regulator/rectifier out and replaced with parts i had.can't figure out how it seperates,took the four nuts off and the pulley nut too but still won't come apart.anyone know how they come apart

import racer
07-27-2008, 05:14 PM
bump

import racer
07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
cant find an alternator in j/y and don't have money for a new one.all i found in j/y was one for 1990.can i make this fit does anyone know or tried it.

import racer
07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
anyone?

Hauntd ca3
07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
i took the regulator/rectifier out and replaced with parts i had.can't figure out how it seperates,took the four nuts off and the pulley nut too but still won't come apart.anyone know how they come apart

once you hve the thru bolts out
you shhould just be able to just pull the back off the alt with a bit of gentle tapping with a small hammer.
from memorey the reg just screws in and the rectifier should be able to be de soldered from the stator windings and solder the new one in.
would be unusual for and alt to seize bearings.
if it has, the rotor has prob hit the stator windings and shorted out
that stuffs regs pretty quick
if you have a good one with the three pin set up, you should still be able to make one goodie fby soldering in the reg etc from the 4 pin one
pretty much use the best of each and frankenstein one

import racer
07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
well spent all day trying to get alt off fi car,finally got it off.took it apart and changed 4-pin to 3-pin reg,put it back on and the batt light is on.didn't do this on fi car so reg must be no good.still trying to find one,one parts store wanted 136.00 for the reg.thats crazy,still looking.hoping to be picking up another exi coupe tomorrow if i can get a drive to the city.

Hauntd ca3
07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
did you check the charge voltage with the motor running once you had the alt back in?
the light not going out wold suggest that the field circuit is out.
heres a quick check.
turn the key on to run
get a screw driver that isnt magnetised and hold it up to the pulley of the alt
if it feels like the screw driver is being pulled against the pulley by a magnet
the field circuit should be all right and points to the stator/reg or rectifier

AccordB20A
07-30-2008, 01:07 AM
hey thats a good way to test the alt (Y)

import racer
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
well didn't get the exi, went up to get it and wouldn't start.said it was going two days ago,but it wouldn't go.it rolled fine but no start,it had a blown fuse under the hood for the ecu that i changed but nothing.pulled coil wire and check the spark that was good but couldn't hear thefuel pump .is there anything diff with the auto that would do this.anybody nave any ideas.oh i'm taking alt to get checked out and put in new reg if it needs it.

Hauntd ca3
08-01-2008, 01:08 AM
hey thats a good way to test the alt (Y)

it really works.
if the field circuit is good, it turns the rotor into an electromagnet as soon as you turn the key on
if it dont, there is a fault

Hauntd ca3
08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
well didn't get the exi, went up to get it and wouldn't start.said it was going two days ago,but it wouldn't go.it rolled fine but no start,it had a blown fuse under the hood for the ecu that i changed but nothing.pulled coil wire and check the spark that was good but couldn't hear thefuel pump .is there anything diff with the auto that would do this.anybody nave any ideas.oh i'm taking alt to get checked out and put in new reg if it needs it.

did you check the main relay
fuel pump wont work if its dickie