PDA

View Full Version : sudden clutch failure...

paul
07-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey guys,

84k miles on the car, prob. the original clutch, I was starting off from a stop at a intersection, heard a "thump!" and lost all connection to the transmission; the clutch had never slipped previous to this event.

No fluid leakage on flat ground, but when the tow truck guy was unloading the car off the flatbed at his shop, clutch fluid began to pour out from under the car. The guy said the clutch was so worn it contacted a part of the clutch cylinder, rupturing it.

I was hoping it was just the clutch hydraulic line blowing off, but it seems like it's going to be much more involved(?)

How much is the avg. clutch job on a car assuming I use the cheaper oem style clutch, throw-out etc?

Thanks!

russiankid
07-27-2008, 01:04 PM
These cars do not have a hydrolic type clutch system, they have a cable. So the fluid you saw is something else.

Ichiban
07-27-2008, 01:07 PM
My guess is you blasted a CV out of the differential. That fluid you saw is MTF.

paul
07-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I thought that was the case! Tow driver didn't seem too knowledgeable about cars in general.

I just had the driver's side axle assembly replace that morning actually (and the pass. side was done 3 weeks ago). What would cause the axle to pop out from the trans? Worn suspension bushings contributing to alot of play in the front suspension?

russiankid
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
I thought that was the case! Tow driver didn't seem too knowledgeable about cars in general.

I just had the driver's side axle assembly replace that morning actually (and the pass. side was done 3 weeks ago). What would cause the axle to pop out from the trans? Worn suspension bushings contributing to alot of play in the front suspension?

Either the axle was not clipped into the transmission all the way or the axle is to short.

Bass Man
07-27-2008, 06:19 PM
This is a pretty common problem and I know your CV popped out of the tranny. I had the same problem after I put my motor in and figured out I didn't put that CV ALLLLLL the way in.

lostforawhile
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

84k miles on the car, prob. the original clutch, I was starting off from a stop at a intersection, heard a "thump!" and lost all connection to the transmission; the clutch had never slipped previous to this event.

No fluid leakage on flat ground, but when the tow truck guy was unloading the car off the flatbed at his shop, clutch fluid began to pour out from under the car. The guy said the clutch was so worn it contacted a part of the clutch cylinder, rupturing it.

I was hoping it was just the clutch hydraulic line blowing off, but it seems like it's going to be much more involved(?)

How much is the avg. clutch job on a car assuming I use the cheaper oem style clutch, throw-out etc?

Thanks!if fluid was coming out,the cv axle is just popped out of the transmission,check the clip on the end of it and the motor mounts. it would be kind of hard for the clutch to "wear through the hydraulic cyl" since it's a cable clutch.

Hauntd ca3
07-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Either the axle was not clipped into the transmission all the way or the axle is to short.

try the left hand inner cv.
i had mine blow two of the cases after my auto/manual swap
turns out the shaft was to short and wasnt in the joint case properly and it blew the case to bits with a big arse bang.

paul
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
ouch! thankfully mine disengaged right at a stoplight going maybe 2mph.

Turns out it is the axle assembly AND it also needs a new clutch... $850+:toilet:

greentee76
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
I had the same problem as Bass Man when I did my engine swap. Turned out that a couple of the splines on the axle had gotten pinched down partly in the ring groove. Pulled it out and filed the groove until the ring would not hangup and could turn freely in the groove. Have not had a problem since I did this. FYI.

MessyHonda
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
ouch! thankfully mine disengaged right at a stoplight going maybe 2mph.

Turns out it is the axle assembly AND it also needs a new clutch... $850+:toilet:

do the work yourself for like 1/3 the price

paul
08-14-2008, 03:42 PM
do the work yourself for like 1/3 the price

I'd love to, but I can't work on the car at the apartments I'm at, no room to work on it otherwise, and no real knowledge (besides the hayes manual) to do the work, and I needed the car back on daily-driver duty asap...

Work was completed, since it was through AAA, it's got a nice warranty too.