PDA

View Full Version : New Header - more problems

mavric240
07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Well my new header has caused me some headaches nothing to serious but costly.

The problem I have now is it melted my speedometer cable which in turn snapped the cable at the end that seats into the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I have never messed with that and would like to know if there is anything I need to know or have on hand before I take it out. Alternative ways of getting that piece out would be nice too, magnet did not work.

Thanks

86ccord
07-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Well my new header has caused me some headaches nothing to serious but costly.

The problem I have now is it melted my speedometer cable which in turn snapped the cable at the end that seats into the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I have never messed with that and would like to know if there is anything I need to know or have on hand before I take it out. Alternative ways of getting that piece out would be nice too, magnet did not work.

Thanks

uh, i dont know too much about your speed sensor...is that where the speedo cable connects into, or is it part of the speedo cable, if so just go to you local Junk Yard pull the speedo cable off, and oil it up, the inside of course and it will work fine...

i hope i helped a bit..LOL

cygnus x-1
07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
There is a clip that has to be removed before the speedo cable comes out of the speed sensor. If that clip is still in there it will have to be removed before the broken part will come out. Worst case you should be able to remove the whole speed sensor without too much difficulty.

C|

russiankid
07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
If you still cannot get it out, there is a bolt behind the sensor. If you undo the bolt the whole sensor slides out of the transmission. That way you can get the piece out. As far as replacing the cable, from what I hear it is not to tough, hardest part is snaking it through under the dash. Good luck!

mavric240
10-02-2008, 07:47 AM
If you still cannot get it out, there is a bolt behind the sensor. If you undo the bolt the whole sensor slides out of the transmission. That way you can get the piece out. As far as replacing the cable, from what I hear it is not to tough, hardest part is snaking it through under the dash. Good luck!

Yea it came our pretty easy once I saw how easy the dash came apart. However I did have to take out the sensor and it broke when reinstalling it.

ghettogeddy
10-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Yea it came our pretty easy once I saw how easy the dash came apart. However I did have to take out the sensor and it broke when reinstalling it.

what did you brake on the speed sensor only thing i casn think of is the vacuum stems

2oodoor
10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
I dont know how the exhaust even came close to any of those parts

mavric240
10-02-2008, 08:22 AM
what did you brake on the speed sensor only thing i casn think of is the vacuum stems

The little guide for the bolt on the side. It is the piece that the bolt goes thru and holds it in. I thought I had it seated all the way when I started to tighten the bolt but it snapped it off. Now the sensor is just sitting in the trans nothing holding it in place. A new one thru Standard is $148.00 my cost. So far it has not come out.

That's the least of my problems now. I either got TV cable issues or a bad tranny. All my problems started when I installed the header. The heat has melted my Speedo cable, and fan blades. I hope it has not cooked my trans.

mavric240
10-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I dont know how the exhaust even came close to any of those parts

It does not, but the heat from the header melted the speedo cable. This caused the cable to snap break off a piece down in the sensor requiring me to remove it. It is a case of one thing led to another to another. The trickle down effect.

ghettogeddy
10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
i would think it would have melted your plug wires before your speedo

mavric240
10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
i would think it would have melted your plug wires before your speedo

No the wires made it ok. But they are pulled up and away. The cable was laying lower because it was not routed correctly and not secured in the OE holder. I count myself lucky that the wires were not toasted as well. I assure you all that I have said is true and accurate.

How do I add pictures and I'll put some up

ghettogeddy
10-02-2008, 09:09 AM
No the wires made it ok. But they are pulled up and away. The cable was laying lower because it was not routed correctly and not secured in the OE holder. I count myself lucky that the wires were not toasted as well. I assure you all that I have said is true and accurate.

How do I add pictures and I'll put some up

www.photobucket.com

use the img tags

mavric240
10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
www.photobucket.com

use the img tags

Cool thanks bud. When I get home Ill throw up some photos.

Dr_Snooz
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
If you want the sensor out, just start driving the car. It will come out sure enough!

Seriously though, I'm assuming you've removed the anchor bolt? Remember that the torque spec for that anchor bolt is only like 9 ft/lbs. That's only slightly more than finger tight and not enough to break anything. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the damage before suggesting an approach to removing it.

2oodoor
10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
cooked the fan blade, man are running it that lean? I have never had anyhere near that much heat coming from my header (A20A1)
It may not be the header actually at fault I am thinking.

mavric240
10-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree it should not have gotten that hot but it sure did melt the speedo cable, but is was left hanging and it did melt the blades on the fan. I had a friend install the header and amazing enough the car does not overheat. Just make noise when you turn the A/C on. I would like to know what your thinking other the the heat from the header could melted the blades. Could he have done something installing it? Like I said it did not melt the boots or p/s hose. As far as running lean I don't think so by looking at the plugs and I do run stocking timing.