PDA

View Full Version : help adjusting idle! and....

Kagato
07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I have searched and searched, seen all the pictures and everything, and still cant seem to find or figure out how to raise my idle speed! Am i just retarded? why cant i seem to see or feel any of the parts shown on here that raise the speed?

car idles at one hash mark before 1k, yet car is shaky when it is idling, and gets even more so when there is more power pulled from the alternator. just want to up the idle to smooth out the car.

on a side note, while at 2k rpm when shifting into second gear only the car surges really bad, unless i hold in the clutch and slowly let it out as i rev while going into second. any thoughts?

russiankid
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Easiest way to adjust the idle speed is to take off the airbox and plug up vacuum lines that go to the airbox to prevent a vacuum leak. Then follow the throttle cable to the carb, the idle stop screw has a black knob on it. If you look behind the area that the throttle cable attaches to, you will see the black knob.

Have you done a tune up recently? Try cleaning the carb with carb cleaner.

greentee76
07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I know what you mean, took me forever to find the damn black knob,lol! It is on the back of the carb on the passenger side kinda buried. Look for the red fuel return hose its right next to it.
Now my question is why the hell couldn't they have made the thing 3-4 inches longer so that it could be adjusted without taking the damn air cleaner off. I actually thought about extending mine at one point.

russiankid
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I know what you mean, took me forever to find the damn black knob,lol! It is on the back of the carb on the passenger side kinda buried. Look for the red fuel return hose its right next to it.
Now my question is why the hell couldn't they have made the thing 3-4 inches longer so that it could be adjusted without taking the damn air cleaner off. I actually thought about extending mine at one point.

If you notice on the back of the carb there is a plastic 'funnel' that sits on the vacuum rail. If you stick a screw driver through it, you will go into the black knob. Inside the black knob is a screw that is a flat head. Thats how you adjust it. However, you need a small screwdriver. :gun:

greentee76
07-31-2008, 02:42 PM
If you notice on the back of the carb there is a plastic 'funnel' that sits on the vacuum rail. If you stick a screw driver through it, you will go into the black knob. Inside the black knob is a screw that is a flat head. Thats how you adjust it. However, you need a small screwdriver. :gun:

I never noticed that on mine maybe it was already gone when I got it?
Good information. Of course I don't have this problem any longer with the weber on there,lol.

russiankid
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I never noticed that on mine maybe it was already gone when I got it?
Good information. Of course I don't have this problem any longer with the weber on there,lol.

Mine still has it, its clipped in so possibly it was removed. Maybe one day I can put a weber on mine.:violin:

Kagato
08-02-2008, 08:47 PM
just finished a tune up, spark plugs were completely white, wires were shabby lookin. idle is wonderful now once i let it warm up all the way. replaced the primary and secondary fuel filters as well (managed to rip a hole in one of the fuel filter lines, the short ass one for the primary so had to jerry rig a fix but its cool now). was hoping that would take care of the bogging and surging im having at low rpm in 2nd gear (unless i rev up past 2500 while releasing clutch) but it hasnt. any ideas as to what else to check?

tl;dnr
Idle good, new fuel filters, still surging and bogging at low rpm in 2nd. next thing to check?

russiankid
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Have you tried cleaning out the carb? Run a fuel system cleaner through, see how that helps.

Kagato
08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
yea threw a whole bottle of carb cleaner additive in the tank and filled with 91 yesterday. got a gnarly white cloud for like, 3 miles down the highway when i almost topped out second gear. nothing since. safe to add fuel system cleaner with the carb cleaner additive still in the tank? still boggin down, thinkin fuel pump maybe? plannin to do it anyways, 20 year old car just passing 180k and wouldnt hurt.