PDA

View Full Version : Gas Smell

SILENT
08-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Alright basically here's the story... I installed a weber 32/36 carb about 3 weeks ago and for some reason theres a gas smell in the mornings when I turn it on!!! so basically the gas smell occurs when I turn off the car... because every time i get inside to turn on the car I can smell gas!!! I've taken apart the carb assembly and tighten all the bolts so the smell is deffinately not coming through the carb adapters??? what could this be??? can't see no visable gas leaks and it doesn't show on the gas gauge???

greentee76
08-01-2008, 07:22 PM
The smell is because when you did the weber swap you removed the vacuum connections so that the charcoal cannister no longer works like it was designed. The gas smell is from the fumes venting from the tank but not being pulled into the intake like they did originally. Mine is the same way after the conversion. As long as you don't have any gas leaks it will be fine.

turabaka
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
hehe. Yeah mine does that too.

SILENT
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
The smell is because when you did the weber swap you removed the vacuum connections so that the charcoal cannister no longer works like it was designed

I was wondering if this crazy idea would work... here it goes. I was thinking to connect the canister vacuum hose to one of vacuum ports on the Intake manifold and connect the red hose coming from the canister to the little hole on the bottom of the air filter housing. Has anyone tried this... Or will this simply not work???

mephi
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure, but I thought the red line was the float bowl vent line. I think the big black line is the purge line, but honestly after looking at the diagrams I'm not really sure. I just remember having the red line hooked up to the the float bowl vent fitting. Now I'm going to have to whip out the vacuum pump and figure this out in the morning.

I kinda want to do the same thing and have the charcoal canister hooked up correctly. Wasting fuel I paid for into the atmosphere just bugs me, even though it isn't as expensive as it was over the summer. I'll let you know how the vacuum test goes.

SILENT
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Awesome thank you!!! I really want to do it for safety reasons... I really could care less about myself... but I have to drive my son in this car once i start my swap on the sei!!! so maybe theres away of rigging it up!!!

I think the big black line is the purge line, but honestly after looking at the diagrams I'm not really sure. I just remember having the red line hooked up to the the float bowl vent fitting

I'm sure im wrong on the red line thing... I threw my canister so i really don't remember it that well!!! and all i have left it a little red line coming threw the firewall... so i figured that was it!!!

mephi
03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Ah...the little red line coming through the fire wall is the fuel tank vent line. This one I know for sure. You could probably just hook that up to a vacuum source...or get an old charcoal canister out of the jy or pick one up from a parts house. Easy.

SILENT
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
so your saying i could plug the fuel tank vent line to a vacuum source and remove the extra gas fumes???

mephi
03-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I think something like that. There is something about it in the vacuum removal how-to. Check that out.

cygnus x-1
03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
You might try to replicating the stock charcoal canister setup according to the diagrams in the service manual. I believe it works something like this:

The fuel tank vent line connects directly to the charcoal canister. Then I think there is a vacuum controlled valve on the top of the canister. The valve opens when vacuum is applied to a control port and a second outlet port connects to either a vacuum port on the manifold or maybe just to the air filter box. When the car is not running the fumes from the tank are vented into the charcoal canister and collect there. When the car is running air is pulled through the canister (purged) and the fumes air burned with the rest of the air/fuel mixture. But the can is only purged at certain times I believe and is controlled by the ECU.
That's the idea anyway.

For the float bowl I don't think there is much you can do as the bowl is vented to the air. It's pretty small though so you aren't going to lose much fuel that way. As far as safety, Weber carbs have been used on SO many cars that if there were a safety problem we would know about it.

C|