PDA

View Full Version : won't start after cam install

87SIA20A3T
08-02-2008, 03:09 PM
so i installed my stage1 tri flow and ge cam gear, and now the car won't start. I believe its the distributor got rotated during installation, though i am not positive. Any help is appreciated. thanks

A18A
08-02-2008, 03:18 PM
dizzy only fits in one way, did you set the #1 piston & cam to TDC before installing the belt?

87SIA20A3T
08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah, i set turned it till it went to tdc and both the exhaust and intake valves were closed.

nswst8
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Is your coil wire connected to the coil? I've done this acouple of times.

If not its your timing, to many times the littlest thig gets over looked.

1st set #1cylinder TDC
Check cam position
wires in correct firing order
Coil wire connected
Check dizzy for cracks anything abonormal.

Good luck

Pico
08-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Check Valve Adjustment.
Check and make sure the timing belt is not off a tooth or more.
Check the flywheel mark and cam gear mark to see that they both are
at TDC.
I went thru the same thing when I first installed my Delta Cam.
Keep Us Posted on your progress

2oodoor
08-02-2008, 07:11 PM
those cam gears have to be tightened up before you turn the motor over, those bolts only look tight, they are not... so if you set it up tdc all proper and turn the motor over it will not be in time if the bolts were not tight.
I use the T mark on the flywheel and have the plugs all out so I can turn the motor over by hand. You need to distinguish then if it is number 4 tdc or number 1 cyl tdc. If it is number 4 you can set the cam gear with the "top" at 6 o clock instead of 12 as it would be for number 1 cyl tdc.
Go back thru your valves after you have checked the cam timing and set them at .007 and .011 , make sure you look and feel the feeler guage is not going it at an angle. You may need to reset the ECU to get the idle to come close with that cam. Just unhook the battery. Note it is very important you recheck the distributor timing any time you move the cam gear timing.

AccordB20A
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
valve adjustment allways gets me.

87SIA20A3T
08-09-2008, 03:07 PM
so i got it run again. only now for some reason, it seems my gas mileage went to hell. I'm not really even driving that hard, and it never even sees above 3500. I also have only drove like 30 miles at the most if that. Did I miss something? I figured it would only affect my mileage a little. Also, I still hear "lifter tick" after i adjusted them, is just a odd honda thing or should i go back and readjust them?

cygnus x-1
08-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Is the ignition timing set correctly? Are the cam and the crank in sync? What is the GE timing gear set to? Is the vacuum advance connected correctly?

C|

87SIA20A3T
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I put my original cam gear on so i could get to work, so it should be at the factory setting now. everything is back together and such, this just doesn't make much sense...

2oodoor
08-11-2008, 03:33 AM
so what about tighetening the cam gear setting bolts? several of us have installed them and overlooked that before start up and had to reset everything.