PDA

View Full Version : Irratic Idle

Chkn Sanwch
08-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey, just thought I'd first say that I'm new here on this site. I have a 1988 Honda Accord LX, and this past Summer, my dad and I have been working to get back into running shape (this is also my first car). We've done a pretty good overhaul on it, and the only problem now is that the idle is kinda screwy. Every now and then, the car will hesitate, and the idle will drop a couple hundred RPM's, then shoot back up. Its kinda worrisome, especially pulling onto a high traffic street, not knowing whether or not it'll crap out on me or not. Also, after letting it warm up for about 30-45 seconds, when I first start driving, sometimes the RPM's will waver; as in they will jump a little high, then jump a little low. You can definitely hear it in the engine too, and yes, my foot is apply even and constant pressure on the pedal. I am mechanically inclined, but any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as I'm not all that familiar with carbs.

(Also, I just bought some Seafoam, and I'm waiting to put it in next time I fill up, Im a little under 1/4 tank right now, so it's best that I wait. I'm hoping that the Seafoam will smoothen up the idle)

Thanks for the help,
Matt

2oodoor
08-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome!
The seafoam could help but could loosen up some gum and send it somewhere else to cause problems.
I found that 95 percent of my carb problems went away when I removed the choke heater, fast idle linkage, pull off and all that whole side of choke related parts. . I used a small piece of steel wire to tie back the choke butterfly. Winters here get in the 20's sometime but the car always started fine with three pumps of the foot and fire it up. Only thing is I had to stay with the car about a minute sometimes on the really cold mornings, before I went back in while the car warmed up. There are so many fickled controls on these carbs it takes some studying in the factory manual to get the concept.

Chkn Sanwch
08-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks, Ill give it a try this weekend when I get a chance too.

One last quick question, kinda random, but hey. Exactly how big is the fuel tank? Ive heard 15.9 gallons, but that seems kinda big for a car like that. And when I filled up a while ago, the pump stopped at a little over 11 gallons, and yet I was real close to E before filling up.

Also, I put in about 8.8 gallons last time I filled up, and it was right at E, it's reallll close to E now, and Ive only gone 150 miles. That comes out to 17mpg(150 divided by 8.8)

WTF?!
:ugh:

car6289
08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Fuel capacity: 60 litres or 15.9 US gallons or 13.2 imperial gallons.

Chkn Sanwch
08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks. So Im guessing when the fuel light comes on, you have about 4 gallons left?

2oodoor
08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
LOL
I wouldnt trust it !
My theory is you have about 40 miles if you take it easy. When I first go my DX after having the LX, I pushed it to the limit waiting for the light to come on , well it never did and I ran out of gas on the interstate with barely enough space to get off the road where it was at, another twenty feet back and I may not have been able to type this.:Owned:

2ndGenGuy
08-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey, I think you're the second person with the username Chicken Sandwich. :)

AccordB20A
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes john i think he is wodner who the other is......

Do all accords have fuel lights or is it only there for decoration base model cars??

greentee76
08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
On my 88 LX I have run it down until the fuel light came on steady and put 13.5 gallons in to fill. I am sure this can be different on different cars but I figure I have 70-90 miles left when the light comes on, although I have not actually ran it out of gas to be sure.

car6289
08-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I've never had the low fuel warning light come on in my 89 LX. It did come on a couple of times when I had my 87LX, (RIP 2001). In theory it is meant to illuminate when you have less than 2.6 US gallons (10 litres) of fuel remaining. On many occasions I have put more than 50 litres in my tank but have never seen the light. The light doesn't concern me that much as my gas gauge is still reasonably accurate.

LxAcc510
09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks, Ill give it a try this weekend when I get a chance too.

One last quick question, kinda random, but hey. Exactly how big is the fuel tank? Ive heard 15.9 gallons, but that seems kinda big for a car like that. And when I filled up a while ago, the pump stopped at a little over 11 gallons, and yet I was real close to E before filling up.

Also, I put in about 8.8 gallons last time I filled up, and it was right at E, it's reallll close to E now, and Ive only gone 150 miles. That comes out to 17mpg(150 divided by 8.8)

WTF?!
:ugh:

You're so funny. You remind me of myself when i first started driving.

When you want to calculate your MPG at the pump. You can only divide Miles on the odo by the gallons of gas you pump when you fill your tank all the way. That is when you put in the pump, lock the trigger and let it stop on its own.