PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Driveshaft/Clutch? wish I knew what I was doing?

paulwwww
08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I have an 89 Honda Accord, DX, manual transmission. I've noticed some creaking during turns out of the passenger side. I was told that the wheel bearing was bad by one shop, took it to my regular shop and they mentioned that the axel nut needed tightning, which they did. Creaking noise still happening. I put the car up on jack stands with the car in first gear, I assumed since it was in gear, engine off, that the drive shaft would not move, ok maybe a bit, on this car the wheel spins freely, I'm confused, Also seems to be a lot of play in the inner CV joint, at least I assume thats what that portion of the driveshft is, (canister looking) up close to the transmission housing. I was originally thinking the driveshft and wheel bearing needs replaced. I hope there is nothing wrong with the clutch based on wheel moving in gear, anyone else out there run into this type of problem. Any and all help would be appreciated...

Rendon LX-i
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
If your hearing that snaping sound or clunk tick fuck withever u wanna call it your boot broke on your outter cv either u can rebuild it or just get a new one.....new one is better thats what i would do....if u had a wheel bearing out you would of hear a waaping sound when u roll between 5-70 lol like mine did its sounds like your car going to break down and its scary...So from your discription you got a bad axle man...Just replace it

Demon1024
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
are both tire spinning? when you turn one the other moves too? try pushing down on your car trying to make it bounce does it creak then?

paulwwww
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Rendon, good info on the axle...I amy go ahead and do the wheel bearing too, based on what it looks like when I get the axel off.
Demon, yes when I spin wheel on the passenger side, the drivers side wheel turns as well. Is that just from the axels being bad, or should I be concerned there something else goin on?

paulwwww
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I need to head into work, thanks for the info so far, any more insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'll be on later at work...

Rendon LX-i
08-05-2008, 06:46 PM
thats Normal man....Change me both and you'll b straight

paulwwww
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
You all are the best serious man, well now for some work...:-)

russiankid
08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Rendon, good info on the axle...I amy go ahead and do the wheel bearing too, based on what it looks like when I get the axel off.
Demon, yes when I spin wheel on the passenger side, the drivers side wheel turns as well. Is that just from the axels being bad, or should I be concerned there something else goin on?

The other wheel should be spinning the opposite direction, which is caused by the differential. Its suppose to do that.

itzdave
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
yea, id change both while ur at it...

greentee76
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I have never heard the sound a bad axle makes refered to as creaking. While you have it up in the air trying moving the supension up and down and turn the wheel side to side and see if you can isolate the noise. I willing to bet that you probably need bushings replaced(my guess would be upper control arm).
Good luck with it I just don't want to see you go through alot of work only to have to condition persist. But if the parts you are replacing are marginal to begin with best to go ahead and take care of them.
Good luck.

paulwwww
08-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Yea I think the creaking might be the wheel bearing, there is most likely more than one issue, sorry for the confusion. Great info on the wheel spinning the opposite direction due to the differential, could be thats the case and I am not paying attention, I will verify tomorrow.