PDA

View Full Version : Randomly bogging down heavily

codyJDM
08-06-2008, 01:18 AM
This is really freaking me out :ugh:

Between 1200 and 1800 my car bogs down like a bitch, and doesnt want to move until I get it up past there. What sucks is it only randomly does it.

It will do it whenever it feels like even if its cold, hot, empty of people, full of people, low on gas, full of gas, I don't get it.

If it helps, the first time it ever bogged down was when I used lucas injector cleaner. Kinda pisses me off. And if it also helps I've used bars stop leak in the meantime to fix my radiator issue temporarily.(idk if that stuff has any relevance tho)

Any insight? This really sucks.

Civic Accord Honda
08-06-2008, 01:58 AM
try replacing fuel filter before anything else

2oodoor
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
kinda sounds like ignition timing secondly, and like dark accord said fuel filter first
why did you use fuel treatment? was there some issue before

codyJDM
08-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah I failed emissions twice, and the treatment didnt help lol

Catalyst
08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Now sounds like a good time to do a full tune up. My hatch was doing the same thing pretty much, so I took a few hours and replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, air filter, oil change, and took apart the egr valve, cleaned it, put it back on with a new gasket, and checked all my vaccuum lines for leaks, and replaced all my engine grounds.

After the tune up it ran great, and has ever since. That's what I would do. My money is on the coil, or the fuel filter in your case.

greentee76
08-06-2008, 11:46 AM
My guess would be that the mechanical advance in your distributer is stuck open, meaning the ignition timing is to far advanced at low rpm. I could of course be completely wrong but it sounds more like an ignition issue than anything.

codyJDM
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm gonna grab me a new fuel filter and start with that. My plugs, wires, and all that are brand new basically. I have an MSD Blaster-2 coil as well which is also new so idk.

griffonks
08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I would suggest checking the fuel pressure. It needs to be stable. Twenty year old fuel pumps and fuel lines can do some weird stuff. I replaced ALL the rubber at the tank and in the engine compartment on my beater 89 LX because it was rotten. I hate throwing parts at a problem, I have never come out ahead doing this. Good luck

codyJDM
08-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Fixed. w00t. Car is running great now.

AccordB20A
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
what was the problem?? fuel filter?? mines not been changed for ages maybe thats why my car acts like a cunt now and again

Kagato
08-17-2008, 03:22 PM
yes please tell us what the fix is, my car is doing the exact same thing, iv got new fuel filters, new cap and rotor, new wires. happens exactly like you are describing plus when i make hard left turns.