PDA

View Full Version : Friend's 84 Accord won't idle, please help!

johnbro
08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi, I'm new here, not a Honda owner. A very close friend has a well-used 84 Accord. It just stopped running at idle--will start if you pump the gas and seems to run smoothly above idle, but take your foot off the gas and it dies instantly. Was running fine, no symptoms, then after being parked for a couple of hours it refused to idle again. His mechanic simply said the carb was "no good" which I doubt. We've ordered a shop manual--I offered to try to fix it because he can't afford what the shop wanted to replace the carb.

Do you think a remanufactured carb will solve the problem or does the problem seem to be related to something else?

Any suggestions on stuff to check would be welcome. I know my way around carbs but not this one--it's got more hoses, valves, and misc stuff than any carb I've ever seen.

Thanks!

John

2ndGenGuy
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Did you check the idle screw? Might just need to turn it up a bit. It's the big black screw on the back of the carb. Kinda hard to find, but obvious once you find it. It's the only one you can really adjust.

Ichiban
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I seem to always have problems with idle mixture solenoids. They are the one or two black things with (usually) one wire coming out of them. They are easy to check: supply 12v to the wire and ground the case, if the pintle moves, it's good. If not, it's toast. Check the supply wire to ensure power shows up with the key ON.

Otherwise, float height could be an issue, or there could be crap in the idle circuit. You can sorta half-ass clean the idle circuit like this: Locate the screw. While counting the number of turns (1/4 turns are important here) lightly seat the screw closed (all the way in) Too much pressure will damage it. Then remove it, being careful not to loose any springs or stuff. Depending on your emissions group, there may be a plastic limiter cap you have to break off before you begin. Then, using compressed air or a can of carb cleaner, force air/fluid in through the hole. Watch your eyes, it'll probably spray everywhere. Replace the screw, gently seating it again and backing it out the same amount as it originally was.

2ndGenGuy
08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah... that's what I was gonna say too... :beat:

Ichiban
08-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah... that's what I was gonna say too... :beat:

You shoulda corrected me: Also, check for vacuum leaks.