PDA

View Full Version : Hi there!

xplodingboy07
08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I am a new Honda owner.

I've owned many cars, but have mostly stuck with Subies over the years, to the tune over over 300,000 miles clocked by my own driving, in three different cars.

My last Legacy had 246,000 miles on it, the engine was something amazing, it was original, but it was the best engine I ever had in one, so quiet and smooth. The transmission though, another story. It was slipping going into gear, and I was not going to do any more transmission work on it. So I got rid of it. I wanted something with better mileage, and something with a manual transmission.

I found a 1988 Accord DX, with 95,000 miles. Two door coupe, manual, very clean interior (aside from worn front seats, which will be replaced with some great Prelude seats from local yard). The guy that I purchased it from is kind of a douche, which I have come to realize. It was a nice cold morning that I drove it, it ran GREAT, I was won over. I offered him $1100 for it, and he agree. He told me that he just had the carb tuned up at a local shop. Well, he did, but they told him it needed to be replaced, after I visted them myself, because it was clearly not tuned properly. I guess it is not spraying fuel properly, but I am a total newb with carbs.

It will run on sometimes, but only after the idle decided that it wanted to be in the 1500 range at that time, 20 minutes later, it will be fine. It originally would stall out after any hard stop or turn, which I have since resolved I guess. My mileage is only like 25MPG mixed. I am going to run straight premium gas after I burn this tank off though. The suspension needed some attention, I had to replace both of the front upper control arms, which after a week later inspection this morning, the one is fine, but with the other, the nut can be spun and spun, not by hand, but with a wrench. It does not get tighter, and it will not loosen, it just turns in place. Feels solid though. With the car jacked up, the one rear arm has play, which will need attention.

Anyway, I've put a few hundred in random parts so far, brakes etc... and it seems like it will be a decent car. If I can get 100,000 out of it, great, 50,000, cool too. I like older cars, I've owned new, but I seem to have so much less stress with an old import.

So here I am, this board is great, I am learning so much about these cars, it's great to have this resource.

Oh, and no performance exhaust for me... I HAAAATE the sound of engines like this. It was actually something I had to think about before buying.... do I REALLY want to drive this if the exhaust breaks on my way someplace? LOL

nswst8
08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the board.

I'm not a carb owner but will tell you that you will definately get another 100,000 and then some. These engines are practically bullet proof.

Put the effort into this car and it won't let you down. You'll find all the information you need.

Again, welcome aboard.

greentee76
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the forum.
check out this thread for your carb issue:http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568
If your booster venturies are loose this could explain what the shop was referring to.
Hope it helps. Good luck with it.

2oodoor
08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
welcome ! sounds like a nice car you picked up.