PDA

View Full Version : lights go out when pressing gas

Civic Accord Honda
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
k wtf tonight we decided to take the 3gee when we went to deltaco half way down out street we had to turn around and com home cuz everytime we gave the car gas EVERYLIGHT all of them inside and out would dim then completely go out but nothing else lost power so im confused as hell anyhelp? :pc:

2oodoor
08-07-2008, 03:23 AM
you have a deltaco, man I used to love that place but we dont have them here anymore.
I dont know what to say on the lights

AccordB20A
08-07-2008, 03:39 AM
does it do it at idle? while ur not moving, no dodgy wires caught in your accelerator cable, no blown fuses

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
it happens when the engine is reved or being drivin and nope fuses are good and non wires look messed up or stuck to the cable or anything

and yes deltaco ftmfw

nfs480
08-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I say there's something wrong with the alternator. Maybe it's dying and can't handle higher RPMs?

A18A
08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
disconnect your tps, see if it still does it, if it does, check the whole engine bays wires, maybe the engines tq is disconnecting a loose wire, mainly the fuse box area. i had a similar problem with my car where everything would decide to just not work under heavy acceleration

russiankid
08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I say there's something wrong with the alternator. Maybe it's dying and can't handle higher RPMs?

It has a lot of load on it with the lights on, so it could be the issue. Get a multimeter and test the output at the battery terminals. At idle, you shouldn't be going under 13.50volts. If it is close to 13.50volts or under, your alternator is toast.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
i was thinking that too but when our old 3gees alt died everything would go out like the heater fan etc right now only the lights go out

disconnect your tps, see if it still does it, if it does, check the whole engine bays wires, maybe the engines tq is disconnecting a loose wire, mainly the fuse box area. i had a similar problem with my car where everything would decide to just not work under heavy acceleration

k ill check again i know when i shift the engine flips upward and moves alot broken engine mounts ftl

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
if it happens again ill have the alt tested but everything appears to be working again now =/ wtf but the engine sounds like poopy now confusing cursed car haha
but yeah there not diming now even up at redline so ill see how long it decides to work lol

nswst8
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Load test the battery, alternator, your not giving us any info to help.

Multimeter the battery before start up (Wht is the volts?) and while starting ( What does the battery drop to while statrting?)

While car is running, turn on lights high beam, defroster, a/c high fan blower and wiper. What is the volts at the battery.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
problem is i dont have a tester and im broke and have no job .. fun... anyway its doing it again =/

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
tried it with my legends battery still same problem

nswst8
08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Check your grounds. Alt belt for tension.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
ok but i believe everything as in grounds is fine and it seems if the alt was going out everything else would lose power too i have another alt here laying around so i might try installing it

russiankid
08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Make your way to Harbor Freight and pick up a multimeter. I picked mine up for $4, they are usually $7 but I got mine on sale.

Pico
08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
or buy one of these load testers, I got mine at harbor freight for 10.00 on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93784

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
there is no harbor freight in tehachapi :(

Ayeobe
08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Hmmm, what year is your legend? Im at mechanics school, and i shouldnt have much to do tomorow.. ill look up some wiring diagrams, and info on how its lit up, but first...

Describe dat dere peoblemo. You say all the lights go out when you pin it?
From what i can tell its gotta be a lack of power. If the negative wire off the battry went, you'd have more then just the lights going off.. you'd have some nice fireworks as the power going through the circuts tried to find a ground, and failed. hapaned to a teachers car ...nootttt cool.

Anyway, is it all the lights that go off? Dash lights? headlights? do explain the problem in ferther detail please.

nswst8
08-07-2008, 08:55 PM
ok but i believe everything as in grounds is fine and it seems if the alt was going out everything else would lose power too i have another alt here laying around so i might try installing it

Visually inspect, The only other thing that comes to mind is that the electrical load is greater under acceleration. But now that I think about it. You have a short somewhere that is being intensified under acceleration "fuse block" you are going to have to trace your wires from the fuse block.

If you ever messed around with installing anything and tapping into the electrical your going to have to recheck.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
its on my 3gee lxi and all the lights go out
plate lights tail lights headlights dash lights dome light cluster lights blinkers etc =/
and yeah they start dimming when accelerating then just go completely out then when u de accelerate they start coming back =/

hewofmatt
08-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I drove my car with the batt light on for a few days. I was just hoping to get to the weekend so I could do what I knew I had to do. The alternator. Maybe your's isn't the alt. That's what I thought when you posted a few days ago. Anyway, my lights were really dim when mine finally died, but they didn't go completely out until the car quit. If I didn't have a meter I'd go to a auto parts store and ask them to test it. They probably would.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2008, 11:37 PM
yeah i might take it to autozone tomarrow since i need to get my other car battery charged up

Civic Accord Honda
08-08-2008, 08:20 PM
fixxed was my battery connections X_X also they do still go out but only when the engine shifts up from bad mounts lol

Civic Accord Honda
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
more weirdnesss

if u hit the brakes turn the lights or fan or anything on the heat guage pegs at hot and then if u turn the blinker on it goes up and down to the bink O_O

GraniteLXI
08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Not to veer off topic much but does autozone charge to test alternators? My EF hatch came with a 2nd alt in the hatch and im curious why, the one installed works fine.

Civic Accord Honda
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
ok WTF!!!!!!~!
car wont running even if u floor it with the headlights on and the brake lights on
also now my gas peddle is sitff and wont move but my TB linkage works and i can rev it from there but the cable to it is OMGWTF hot!!!~
fuck

nswst8
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Not to veer off topic much but does autozone charge to test alternators? My EF hatch came with a 2nd alt in the hatch and im curious why, the one installed works fine.

Theres no charge for testing it. Its a courtesy they provide for the potential business.

AccordB20A
08-11-2008, 02:09 PM
cah u have some earth wires missing/burned out. Mauybe you have fuycked your wiring loom up lol. any smell ofg smoke in the car :P

nswst8
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
ok WTF!!!!!!~!
car wont running even if u floor it with the headlights on and the brake lights on
also now my gas peddle is sitff and wont move but my TB linkage works and i can rev it from there but the cable to it is OMGWTF hot!!!~
fuck

Dude you need to take a break and think about this.

I just got finish doing a brake conversion a clutch swapping a compressor and now going to convert it back to R12 and while returning the master cylinder core the starter went out. These cars are over 15 years old and things are going to happen.

Its just maintenece. I do believe your water temp sending unit is bad theres a test for it in the book. And probably the throttle cable has failed I know I had to replace mine a number of years back.

It happens.

2oodoor
08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
engine/battery is grounding thru the accel cable, like AccordB20A said. give it another ground path dude go ahead and call 91 so you have only one number to push when it bursts into flames.

Civic Accord Honda
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
ok guys thank for the help it turns out the ground died that went from valve cover to the body so i Micky moused a old battery cable to see and that worked and yeah i think the throttle cable broke or is kinked anyone know how much that costs to replace? and ima go get a new ground in couple days just glad i found out whats worng

Civic Accord Honda
08-11-2008, 04:18 PM
found the cable its #11
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=ACCELERATOR+PEDAL

$20.45 new