PDA

View Full Version : Cover my fenderwell flares

SephirXV
08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm trying to restore my body, let it go too long. In the process, I've had to scrub away the bottom of both rear fenderwell flares to get rid of all the rust and anything near it.
Everyone is going to now tell me to cut a chunk off of another car with no rust in the same area, weld it in, sand it back smooth, and finish. This isn't going to happen, I haven't the tools or the skills to weld like that, and someone who does would charge more then my car is worth.

An idea that occurred to me the other day is to attach something over the flares that would provide the same basic curve, and hide the fact that allot of the supporting metal is gone. The closest thing I can think of is the fenderwell flares on some newer SUV's that appears to be plastic shrouds attached, they cover 3 or 4 inches all the way around, and appear to be bolted on.
If I could find something and get it attached, I could then reinforce what's behind it without worrying about how it looks, and no one would notice unless they stick their head next to my tire.

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this, or at least has any idea where I could look for a cover that would look aftermarket but not ghetto, I could color it the plastic on my bumpers/etc to match. If needed, I wouldn't mind cutting out the existing flare to provide a flat plane to attach to.

I would appreciate anyone's opinions.

2oodoor
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
they actually made those wide mouldings aftermarket for the 3gen Accord, I have seen them a few times. You would probably find them easier for a 4th gen though.

SephirXV
08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
I've looked around online and found a couple different brands of 'universal' flares, my question is how do they account for car whose stock fenders are already flared? Allot of cars have none, but ours has some, so are you supposed to carve out part of the universals, or do you cut off the non-flat portion of you stock fender?
All the moldings specific to our car seem to be more liners, which sit underneath the arch and cover only the bottom ¼" of the flare's side. If anyone knows of some that are otherwise, please let me know.

2oodoor
08-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I am not talking about the factory fender opening mouldings. The ones I am talking about are the wide ones that are custom aftermarket, and I have seen them on 3 and 4 gen Accords. Most vehicles they make those wide moulding for do have flared contours on the fenders, that is why they make them, wide mouldings would look way out of place on a flat contour fender.
Here are some on a 3rd Gen Accord ...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1203179012.jpg