PDA

View Full Version : Need New AC Compressor...

truble64
08-08-2008, 06:35 AM
I bought my 89 Se-i last month and the compressor was bad. It's going to be hot as hell here, and I can't afford to be driving my Escape back and forth to work, nor can I afford to spend a fortune having the compressor replaced. Sooooo....anyone have any suggestions of what to do, where to go. I live in Reading, PA. And, because I'm not good at doing that kind of stuff (I'm a girl and I'll admit it), I need help...

:devil:

2oodoor
08-08-2008, 06:53 AM
If you have a PNP there , I just bought a compressor with brackets and lines with a guarantee for around 25 bucks there. Had to pull it off myself though.
That would help.

Rendon LX-i
08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
im takening my off and i would sell it to you but thats going to b like a month....mine cold as hell right now

truble64
08-08-2008, 09:07 AM
What's PNP???

russiankid
08-08-2008, 09:10 AM
What type of compressor do you have now? Is it square or cylinder? Another issue is that R12 refrigerant is hard to find. I found a shop who has a little bit left and it will cost me $120 just to top off my system. So for you to actually get it working you'll have to convert to R134A. Also, I'm in Lincoln University and its not that hot, plus winter is coming.

I've never taken off an A/C compressor before, but it shouldn't be to hard. Also, how do you know your compressor is not working? Is it seized? Or nothing happens when you try to turn the A/C on?

2oodoor
08-08-2008, 09:10 AM
pull a part
pick a part
U-pull it

JY that have a set price list and you pull the parts yourself

truble64
08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Yes, granted today, Friday is a beautiful day here in Chester County. BUT, it's only the beginning of August and August is the hottest month of the summer. Plus, I guess I'm thinking ahead for next summer.
The shop that I had check over the car when I bought it told me I needed a new compressor. It blows hot air when I turn it on. The guy said it makes loud noise too, but I haven't heard that.
We do have those 'junk yards' here, but I don't exactly know how to take one out of a car, or put one in for that matter.

2oodoor
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I've never taken off an A/C compressor before, but it shouldn't be to hard. ?
I have done it three times on three different 3g engines in the past two weeks LOL, it is got to be one of the nastiest areas of the engine compartment besides under the steering rack. The area under the power steering pump is where you have to work.

Oldblueaccord
08-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Well what you are looking for is a shop that will covert your car to run R-134a freon. It is the new style freon that replaced the R-12 freon that was in your car from the factory.

It really is not that big of a job but the cost could be as high as 500$. You can price out a new compressor at a parts store just to get an idea and double that for labor and cost of the R-134a freon. I would also get 3 estimates for the work to help decide the price, paying attention to what parts are list as replaced.

Several of us have converted our cars to the R-134a with good results.

wp

onebad4D
08-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi there. I've just gone through the same thing lately. To help make sure it's your compressor there are lots of things you can test. The first thing that should be checked is the refrigerant:
A. measure the pressure at the test ports (compressor won't run if the refrigerant drops below a certain pressure)
or
B. disconnect the pressure switch connector (near the receiver/dryer and P/S reservoir)and put a jumper wire between the two pins. Clutch should engage w/ blower fan on & A/C sw. depressed. If not there's a lack of refrigerant.

If it's out of refrigerant buy a can of 134a with UV dye. Put it in and use a black light to see the leak. Mine leaked out of one of the compressor's piston covers (Keihin A150L radial type)

Also Honda no longer offers the original or remanufactured Keihin A150L or the Nippon Denso. They do offer a different design that requires you to buy a kit that includes a new compressor, new bracket, new lines....but is very expensive. If you go to an auto parts store you'll need to know what brand and model # yours is. There are 5 different ones (at least for the 88 lxi). I got mine off of Ebay for $120. It works but I am concerned as they claimed to put ester oil in it during the rebuild and it looks like brown murky old oil (ester 100 is clear as water) which makes me wonder if they didn't just whack some poor guy in L.A. and part out his car on Ebay:(

As for replacing the compressor...it's not easy. I've been working on this car for 7+ years doing all sorts of stuff to it and replacing the compressor was pretty darn tough. Replacing the receiver dryer wasn't fun either. I hope this helps.