PDA

View Full Version : Car not starting after distributor change!

Kagato
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok so today was oil leak fixing day.

1989 A20A1 motor, i think a Hitachi dizzy.

When i put the original dizzy back in after changing the o-ring i guess it was partly wrong since i snapped off one of the tabs on the dizzy.

Went to pick n pull and got another dizzy, installed perfect, used the old cap and rotor, even tho they are kinda thrashed they worked fine before and i couldnt afford a new cap n rotor, now the motor wont start. Car cranks and cranks, every once in a while i get a little firing, then followed by a lound "PUT" sound, with a blast of air coming from the upper advance line coming by the air cleaner.

I'm thinking my timing is either WAAY off, or the dizzy i got is fried. Any suggestions? Never timed a car before so i'm a lil lost.

UPDATE:
Well i figured it out, turns out the dizzy rotor wasnt synced with the engine, dunno how to delete threads so ill just put my solution in here in case anyone else hits this problem:
-Put your cam gear at TDC: easist ghetto way is to put the car in gear, leave it off, and rock the car back and forth till the front wheels move the cam gear, marks on side must be paralell to the head of the engine, the part that says "up" will not be strait up from the ground.
-Move the rotor of the dizzy to be ON cyl 1's plug position on the dizzy