PDA

View Full Version : Well finally installed the rears disc.

nswst8
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Pretty straight foward, leaking rear wheel cylinder forced me to decide whether to fix the wheel cylinder or just to convert it.

Glad I finally went ahead and converted it. I hate drum brakes, should have done this when I first got the disc in 04-05 can't remember which year.

I think that it is worth the time and effort to upgrade if you have the means.

Only thing I would recommend is to strip the knuckle down completely before installing it. First side I struggled to get that dam thing in place. Second side I stripped the entire knuckle down and installed one peice at a time. Much easier.

Pico
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds good Phil.
I need to start hunting down a set for my 3G.
Did you change the Prop.Valve also or keep the Drum brake one?

Cheeseburger
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
sweeet

nswst8
08-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Sounds good Phil.
I need to start hunting down a set for my 3G.
Did you change the Prop.Valve also or keep the Drum brake one?

Yeah, I changed the prop valve. I read that some didn't change the valve but the part numbers are different. Just make sure that the prop valve is working properly I did have to take mine apart a valve was stuck. A simple fix.

nswst8
08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Forgot to add that I also installed a set of SPC adjustable rear upper control arms and they are sweet better built than the ingalls in my opinion, these things are huge. I bought them off ebay a couple of years ago but see them every now and then.

They get another endorsment from me.

http://www.spcperformance.com/PROD_DIR/SPCPerf_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=67395&cmd3=

markmdz89hatch
08-11-2008, 11:30 AM
very nice Phil. What rotors/pads/brake lines did you go with?

nswst8
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Original it was all on the donor car, it look like the guy had just had the brakes done before sending it to the junkyard. I wrapped everything up when I first got them.

But I do have some brembo drilled and slotted I'm not sure what pads to get. I did have a SS brake line kit to install but one of the lines in the rear were to short and I couldn't break loose the front lines loose so I'm waiting until I get to the junkyard to get some back ups before I attempt to do the fronts. Think I'll hit a local hydraulic line shop to replace the short lines.

2oodoor
08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
snap some pics when you get a chance :rolleyes:

Those UCA look like they would be fairly easy to immulate. Looks like a truck offset tie rod end and sleeve. Im thinking out loud here, I wonder if a tie rod end could support the weight transfer that those ball joints do.