PDA

View Full Version : Giving the car up to help some one in need...

Brently
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Everybody,

My lovely wife, and I, have found someone who really needs transportation (a familiar story with us). So of course the wife offers up the '87 accord LXI hatch for $1k less than I have in it.

This great person didn't have a home, so we let her move in for awhile to save some money. She had no car, but was close to work and could walk from our home. But no, we give her the keys to the Acura RL and tell her to wait until I'm comfortable giving up the Accord. Well that time is close, but I have one problem that's annoying the hell out of me.

The start up idle that fluctuates. And it only lopes for the first 3 minutes, warms up, then fine all day. I've swapped, IACV, ECU, a used Control Box solved it for awhile. Is there a cold-start injector I'm missing? Or could I actually have a clogged or stuck injector in the morning?

Here's the history of the car that was going to help deliver flowers for my wife's business:

Spare bumper purchased
Replaced control box
Replaced PCV Valve
Replaced spark plugs
Changed trans fluid 3 times
New ignition
Made keys for all lock cylinders
New engine mounts
New filters
New full axles
Struts all the way around
New rotors and pads
New interior pieces (rear deck, handles, door lock mech, change box)
4 Acura 14" rims
Oil changed
Replaced Barometric sensor
California Smog checked
Titled (Bought from a Lien sale)
Converted to R134a (now compressor won't work after 2 months)
Front to rear exhaust installed

It runs awesome, but not from a cold start up. Anyone had or fighting with the idle loping problem. Want to give the car away running well. I'm really going to miss it.

Thanks,
Brently

2oodoor
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
put some fresh NGK plugs in it, and check the throttle screw is not loose.
Check the coolant level, this problem usually is the coolant sensors not getting a temp reading quick enough for whatever reason.

Brently
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Never thought about coolant until this past weekend. I did think Thermostat. If a cold start injector existed, I said it had to be reading the temp, or not reading the temp properly. Thank you, I'll change the coolant, bleed the system, install a new thermostat and pull out the expansion tank and fill. New NGK plugs 2k miles ago.

I'm taking it to an A/C expert tomorrow. The heat in Folsom, CA is brutal this time of year.

w261w261
08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
If this person cannot afford a place to live, and is living with you (so no rent?), *and* is walking distance to their job, why do they need a car at all? It sounds like the hatch is in pretty good shape, and frankly, it deserves better than to go to someone who is (I betcha) going to run it until it drops. These are great cars, but they are old cars, and they need constant attention to maintain their goodness.

You might be deserving of the Mother Teresa Award for your hospitality, but it sure sounds like the 3G belongs with you, not him or her. I say time for some tough love, or at least an old Cavalier.

PS: Could be the idle stabilizer valve or TW sensor. Idle valve is near the IACV but more back towards the firewall. TW sensor is near thermostat.

nswst8
08-12-2008, 09:10 AM
One up for you, should you decide to give up the accord.

Is it possible to find another reliable car for this person? Sounds like you are knowledgable enough to find a DD for this person.

2oodoor
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
to quote you , I think you have way more than one problem that is annoying the hellotta you. :lol:
I have seen this type of scenerio play out before, proceed with caution my freind.

Brently
08-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Forgot to answer this question. Yes, I could find her another daily driver, but my reason for wanting to give her this one, is that I've touched this car for the past 3 months and I know it much better. Plus, already have 4 cars.

The AC guy said he found a leak, after first saying it was okay and installing 22oz of 134. Compressor kicked back on. I let her take it back, but I think he's trying to make more money. Will have to give him a good piece of my mind next week.

But get this. I think she's being ungrateful and looking to purchase an SUV because she's had one before, and some shady friends are recommending she get one. I can't believe. Pretty soon, if after leading this horse to water and they don't drink - I'll step away.

2oodoor
08-22-2008, 07:15 AM
told ya, to watch out
You have to look at this person's track record, how long have they been "out of luck" and does it keep happening like cycles.. pattern?
bless ya for being a very nice person, don't stop doing that.. just like you said teach em to fish, don't just keep giving them fish, ehhh horse water or whatever.. lol

nswst8
08-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Confront her about the SUV and let her know that you don't want to see a reliable accord get traded for gas guzzling SUV.

This would absolutely piss me off. My brothers have SUVs and they have to borrow money for gas from my parents, they can't sell them thay are upside down on value to debt.

If she is considering a SUV, "DON'T" and I mean don't let her anywhere near the accord. She doesn't appreciate the value and reliability of the accord.

Allow her to use the accord for transportation until she can afford a SUV, if that is what she wants.