PDA

View Full Version : how to test junkyard m/t?

newtuner
08-13-2008, 01:13 PM
im wondering how i would go about testing a junkyard manual trans. i need a new trans and buying one froma place is just a little expensive... but i dont kno how to test it.. any hlep would be greatly appreciated!

Demon1024
08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
only thing i know is to grab the spline and try to shake it up and down and see what kind of play it has. i hope you get more answers i'd like to know a little trick here too

ghettogeddy
08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
only thing i know is to grab the spline and try to shake it up and down and see what kind of play it has. i hope you get more answers i'd like to know a little trick here too

thats prolly the only test you can do
but when buying from a jy try to get one that low milage that was in a accident
preferably in the rear

AccordB20A
08-14-2008, 12:18 AM
also check diff play. put it in gear hold one cv and spin the other and see how much play there is before the input shaft spins

newtuner
08-19-2008, 11:12 AM
well sounds easy enough! thx for the input!!

89T
08-20-2008, 02:54 AM
if you can pull the 5th gear cover check for excessive wear plus 5th is the gear that usually goes first.

Dr_Snooz
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
i need a new trans and buying one froma place is just a little expensive...

Don't feel bad. At least you can play with the ones from the junkyard and see the shape of the car they come from. At a shop, all you get is a steam-cleaned case and some guy's word that it's gonna work.

Either way, you're SOL if it ends up being rubbish. At least you have more control over your jy tranny.