PDA

View Full Version : My Engine just DIED

t_burd85
08-14-2008, 06:52 AM
I was coming home from work and my engine just decides to die.....it started to stutter a little while i was driving like it wanted to die but wasnt at the time. i had a constant tapping the would increase as the rpm would......the car did have a history of the oil light flickering when the rom would drop below 1k but on this day i had nothing no check engine, oil, battery light or nothing.....now when i try to start it, all i get is a click with power to all the electrical. Asking for opinions, do you think the bottom end siezed up and i should junk it or just try to tear the engine down and just try to rebuild it

lostforawhile
08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
I was coming home from work and my engine just decides to die.....it started to stutter a little while i was driving like it wanted to die but wasnt at the time. i had a constant tapping the would increase as the rpm would......the car did have a history of the oil light flickering when the rom would drop below 1k but on this day i had nothing no check engine, oil, battery light or nothing.....now when i try to start it, all i get is a click with power to all the electrical. Asking for opinions, do you think the bottom end siezed up and i should junk it or just try to tear the engine down and just try to rebuild itput a socket on the crank pulley and see if you can turn over the engine by hand. if the engine is siezed you can get a running engine from pick a part pretty cheap.

t_burd85
08-14-2008, 10:00 AM
well i tried that and it didnt turn at all but ima alos thinking that it could have just been the oil pump that locked up do you think that it would work if i replaced that or would i have to just do the entire engine

Oldblueaccord
08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
The oil pump is run by the timing belt on the drivers side of the engine(external). If it did lock up while running the belt strips as well.

It really sounds like the motor siezed up. If the oil light was flickering the oil pressure would be very very low.

wp

AccordB20A
08-15-2008, 01:57 PM
the tapping sound it a complete give away. it obviously has a fucked oil pump causing low oil pressure causing it to run a bearing and now the crank has seized. New motor or rebult is the next step

lostforawhile
08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
what is the normal pressure anyway at idle? I know the warning sender is set around 3 psi factory, and the manual says low oil pressure at tickover (idle) is normal in a high mileage engine. but sudden loss at speed is much more of a cause for concern. I run around 25 psi at idle when the engine is running a bit on the warm side on a really hot day, so thats not bad, at normal cruise speeds i run around 45 psi, thats around 3500 rpm, and at high rpm i can run upwards of 75 to 80 psi. I still want to put in a new pump before i put in the oil cooler so i get the maximum flow of a new pump. auto zone has melling pumps available for this car, thats one of the few brands i trust. I always ran them in the race cars. the cooler will help,because it and a thermostat will keep the oil around 225, this is the best temp for any oil. it's hot enough to boil off water,but it's cooled enough to prevent breakdown of the oil,plus the cooler oil helps carry away internal engine heat,this heat is dissapated at the oil cooler itself .i replaced my oil pressure sender with one set at around 20 psi by the way, this gives you much more of a warning of impending problems then the 3 psi one. on this engine by the time it's down that low,it's too late. as far as your engine it may be toast, check the bearing journals for the cam first, most of the time on a honda motor,oil starvation will destroy them first. they are the farthest on the oil pressure circuit.
it may be possible the cam has locked up and is preventing the engine from turning over. you can take off the valve cover, then remove the rocker assemblies as one unit, disconnect the belt, and see if the engine can be turned by hand. since the rockers have been removed, none of the valves will be open,and there wil be no damage. just make sure you can put it all back in time. if the engine is gone, pick and pull often has great deals on engines.