PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan (Pranked)

Jonessoda27
08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
On Monday I went to the dealership and got the usual 4 quarts and filter to perform an oil change. Little did I know I would later discover that I had to do the inevitable. I went home and did the job, screwed on the new bolt and washer tight and went inside. I later came back out and check for and leaks.

It was to my surprise that I encounter a dripping leak off of the bolt at about a drop every two minutes. Being pissed I tightened it a bit more and watched the damn bolt for five minutes straight. NO LEAK! Checked it the next morning and more drops.

Took it to the shop this morning and I got quoted at 450ish for a new oil pan installed, still waiting for the call.

I am wondering if anyone else wants to share their stories/opinions to make me feel better/prove to me that im not the only one that has encountered this problem.

In addition, this could be an interesting read relating to this topic.
[url]http://www.artsautomotive.com/HondaOilPan.htm

87roach
08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
On Monday I went to the dealership and got quoted at 450ish for a new oil pan installed, still waiting for the call.

My mouth dropped at this point which then proceeded to laughter!

It's really not too tough of a job if your a DIY'er, if the pan is the problem I would probably hit the jy to find another one and get an oem gasket and install it myself, that quote is just too insane to justify for an OIL PAN.

Jonessoda27
08-14-2008, 09:26 AM
My mouth dropped at this point which then proceeded to laughter!

It's really not too tough of a job if your a DIY'er, if the pan is the problem I would probably hit the jy to find another one and get an oem gasket and install it myself, that quote is just too insane to justify for an OIL PAN.

UPDATE: Got a call back and they found a serious problem: TWO LEAKING INJECTORS!!

Now I gotta replace all four 800 bucks......:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

2oodoor
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
yes this thread must be a prank

Jonessoda27
08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
yes this thread must be a prank

Dead serious.

2oodoor
08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
is the plug bung cracked or something? or is it the gasoline cutting thru? is the plug gasket intact? why did you get the new plug to begin with , was it already leaking before?

Zwolfe
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
On Monday I went to the dealership

Did you buy your Accord used from a Ferarri dealership?

Ichiban
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
This is so stupid....

cygnus x-1
08-15-2008, 05:50 AM
Has the oil pan plug and crush washer ever been replaced? If not then go to Autozone and get a new one for under $10.

Injector seals can be replaced without too much difficulty. Not a fun job but pretty straightforward.

C|

Oldblueaccord
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Pull up the prices on the parts and then go from there. At one point the price quoted my for the new Honda oil pan was 450$. The injectors are about 50$ a piece. I would buy them from www.rceng.com.

I had a relavtive that the dealership messed up there oil plug. They gave them a "deal" but its was 850$. It was a 99 VW bug. What makes its worse the pan was only 200$ so the rest was labor. They charge 60$ hr but did the job in 6 hours ? :bandit:

wp

russiankid
08-15-2008, 09:13 AM
About the link you posted. It doesn't take that much torque to seal the plug. I have never had issues with my drain bolts stripping or having the threads chewed up. If you clean the bolt and the threads before installation, and you hand thread it first, you won't have issues.

MessyHonda
08-15-2008, 01:48 PM
thats why i never take my car to the lube places...the owner before me did and they mest up the bolt....it was also leaking from the oil pan so i just got another oil pan from my parts engine went to get a Honda OEM gasket and installed it...now it doesn't leak from the gasket or drain bolt

AccordB20A
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
yeah my mate had the same problem with his 2g lude, the thread in the sumop was stripped so i got him another b20 sump i had spare and we got some gasket maker replaced the sump and its good as gold now.

it seems to be that the thread starter might want to learn some info about cars and do it yourself. otherwise yes it will cost you 4 arms and 3 legs at a honda dealership.

2oodoor
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
hey you shared a story that is all he wanted...
Im a problem solver so I always want to anylize and do the puzzle thing...
ok a story, yep I had to replace an oil pan on a 4.3 chevy because the
sheet metal around the oil plug bung twisted with the oil plug and cracked. Can you imagine the whole sump in the oil pan flexing so bad when you try to loosen the plug that it bends and cracks. GM gotta love to hate em.

nfs480
08-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm confused, why does it say "(Pranked)" in the thread title? And why are you buying oil and filters at a Honda dealership?

Demon1024
08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
buy (or download) the repair manual i'll bet your spending half the price of your car every time you go to the stealership for repairs. a good set of tools is much cheaper than a mechanic if you take your time and do it right (with honda parts of course)

Ichiban
08-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't understand how you people can constantly fuck up oil drain plugs.

-It's just a plug, doesn't even hold 2 parts together
-It's constantly lubricated
-It gets removed every 3000 miles and re-installed.

Think about it. Unless you have some basketcase aluminum cast oil pan, there is simply no excuse for this.

MessyHonda
08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't understand how you people can constantly fuck up oil drain plugs.

-It's just a plug, doesn't even hold 2 parts together
-It's constantly lubricated
-It gets removed every 3000 miles and re-installed.

Think about it. Unless you have some basketcase aluminum cast oil pan, there is simply no excuse for this.

its the quick lube places...they hire ppl out of high school and give them wrenches...what do you expect?