PDA

View Full Version : inspection obd 'ready'?...

paul
08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey all,

Yesterday my speedo stopped working,

Today I got OBD error 17 (vehicle speed sensor) and my odometer stopped working shortly after, and since the speed sensor's not reading my speed, the p. steering is on full-assist (as if I was not moving).

None of that really matters because all I have to do is pass my inspection this weekend, at least then I'll have a year to figure things out!

I can turn off the car, turn it on and no Check Engine light for at least 5min etc...
here's the question: with the OBD-0 setup, can't I just turn off the car before the inspection, the tech will turn it on, see no check engine light & pass me, or is it like OBD-II where it might not be 'ready'?

Much thanks!

A18A
08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
to me that sounds like the speed sensor in the gearbox has broke itself

ghettogeddy
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
easy easy fix its 2 vacuum lines and a bolt
but first make sure one of the lines hasn't popped of
its behind the starter on the tranny

paul
08-18-2008, 05:13 PM
easy easy fix its 2 vacuum lines and a bolt
but first make sure one of the lines hasn't popped of
its behind the starter on the tranny

That would be awesome! I'll check it tomorrow.

So one or more of the lines may be loose, just reattach those lines?
Does the one bolt hold them in place?

Thanks!

ghettogeddy
08-18-2008, 05:30 PM
That would be awesome! I'll check it tomorrow.

So one or more of the lines may be loose, just reattach those lines?
Does the one bolt hold them in place?

Thanks!

no the one bolt hold the speedo sensor in place

you remove it and then twist and pull up

i forgot to ask is it auto or stick

im not sure if it makes a difference but i know the starters are different lol

A18A
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
just 1 10mm bolt, the speedo cable itself and 2 lines, but they are fluid lines not vacuum lines, so expect a little bit of p/s fluid to spill out when removing them.

auto & manual ones are the same from my experience

AccordB20A
08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
a lot of power sterring fluid will come out. you will have to have botls ready to plug them or you will loose all your fluid!!! done that before

ghettogeddy
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
a lot of power sterring fluid will come out. you will have to have botls ready to plug them or you will loose all your fluid!!! done that before

i did not have that prob at all on the lx
i believe those are just vacuum lines

russiankid
08-18-2008, 07:10 PM
i did not have that prob at all on the lx
i believe those are just vacuum lines

Maybe you didn't have fluid in your system? Those are fluid lines, they are used for the speed sensitivity for the pump. They also lubricate the sensor.

ghettogeddy
08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Maybe you didn't have fluid in your system? Those are fluid lines, they are used for the speed sensitivity for the pump. They also lubricate the sensor.

i wasent low but after reading the manual it says to plug the hoses but dosent say fluid runs through them
also says to lock the steering wheel and run it in idel to bleed the lines

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/speedsensor.jpg

A18A
08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
lol random i had to steer mine from full lock left to right a few times for my p/s to bleed. well i dunno if that was bleeding it but it wouldnt work untill i done that a few times

AccordB20A
08-18-2008, 09:59 PM
same here. im beginning to think my rack leaks as it uses power steer fluid

A18A
08-19-2008, 03:39 AM
maybe that's why your lid popped off and ruined ur cam belt

Dr_Snooz
08-19-2008, 08:37 AM
You need to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock both to drain and to fill the rack. The PS fluid gets old and really funky so it's a good idea to replace it at regular intervals. Remove the lower fluid line from the reservoir, jam another length of hose into it and drain the old fluid into a suitable container. Be sure to secure your drain hose well because fluid will squirt out vigorously as soon as you start the car. In my case, I shot fluid all over the nice car next to mine in the carport. The neighbor came out and found me washing and waxing his car. :wtf: Anyway, you've been warned.

In answer to your question, you should clear inspection provided the light doesn't come on in the middle of things. The ECU retains a trouble code, but you can clear it by removing the #11 (Clock) fuse for 10 seconds.

Oh, and the speed sensor gets indescribably filthy with 20 years + of old oil, dirt, etc. Be prepared to get your hands really dirty. Eeeeeeewww!

paul
08-20-2008, 12:01 PM
It seems like the speed sensor housing is a little loose.

I should be able to tighten the single 10mm bolt to fully secure it right?

(e.g. the actual speed sensor housing doesn't thread into the transmission?)

Thanks guys!

ghettogeddy
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM
It seems like the speed sensor housing is a little loose.

I should be able to tighten the single 10mm bolt to fully secure it right?

(e.g. the actual speed sensor housing doesn't thread into the transmission?)

Thanks guys!

no id dosent its a tight fit but dosent thread in that i know just tighten that bolt down and make sure to folow the lines and make sure there in good shape

paul
08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Turns out the screw is missing!

I managed to push the VSS housing back into the trans, so at least I don't get a CE light, and my speedo/odometer work.

Now the fun begins trying to order one screw from honda.

(Ghettogeddy, I used your speed sensor jpeg in the e-mail to honda, would it be possible to keep the pic available at least through this weekend?)

Thanks again guys!

ghettogeddy
08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Turns out the screw is missing!

I managed to push the VSS housing back into the trans, so at least I don't get a CE light, and my speedo/odometer work.

Now the fun begins trying to order one screw from honda.

(GhettoDaddy, I used your speed sensor jpeg in the e-mail to honda, would it be possible to keep the pic available at least through this weekend?)

Thanks again guys!

its ghettoGeddy lol Geddy is my name lol and ya i dont normally delete pics from my account as far as that screw goes go to a jy pull one and pocket it

paul
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
haha sorry about that!

Thanks again guys!