PDA

View Full Version : idle high after changing front struts? Huh?

ired44
08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
hey guys i dont really post anythin on these forums becuz i usually find everything but this one is weird. I have an 88 dx hatch and i just changed the front struts. I did evrything correct and made sure everything was put together right, now i have one problem when i took my car out to give it a test drive my idle stays stuck at around 2-4k and i can literally take off without giving it gas (by the way its manual). Never had this problem b4 i changed the struts. Anyone?

steveko
08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a vaccum leak possibly the fast idle unloader or the lines too it.

codyJDM
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Make sure you didnt move your clutch cable or throttle cable out of their brackets. I had the same problem.

Accordtheory
08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
That's funny. My car idles weird after I smoke a fat blunt.

MessyHonda
08-19-2008, 06:24 PM
try to adjust your carb on the idle screw...i remember when i had stock shocks my car was lower on one side...then after i replaced the shocks it was super high up in the air...it looked like a 4x4

A20A1
08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
I agree check for vacuum leaks and check the cables, not just at the pedal but under the hood for binding/pulling.

Do any of the throttle or clutch cables hook to a support on the strut tower?

Is the motor cold when the high idle is happening or is it all the time?

I don't think the float level would have changed, but you might take a peek.

2oodoor
08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
IDo any of the throttle or clutch cables hook to a support on the strut tower?

This ^^^^ sounds like the most logical common denominator, make sure your cable(s) are not tugging on the throttle. Vacuum leaks possible in the same area too.

rfiks
12-16-2008, 06:22 PM
i have the same problem- it used to just happen in the morning when warming up. now it will do it even though its warm, sometimes when i "tap" the gas pedal the RPMs will drop but when i barely touch the gas the f*@kn trottle goes f*@kn haywire, WTF! gas has gone down but this S#!7s pissing me off. i got a accord/prelude manual but i dont know where to start with all this S#!& Honda put under my hood. oh yea when u get 2 weber carbs does that eliminate all the unnecissary (did i spell that right) bs like vac. lines throttle cable and ... :burn:wow.... im about to go fi if this S#!& keeps up!!! i no ino this car is kicking my ass haw?