PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket radiator and PS lines???

offthahook
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
My buddy is kinda putting an 86 lx-i HB together, after the car sat for a few years outside. The radiator was trashed, so he buys one at Pep Boys. We were satisfied that the fittings for AT cooler wouldn't be a problem for his 5 speed. He said that those AT cooler line fittings seem independent of the rest of the radiator, so that's cool. The guy at Pep Boys told him ANOTHER fitting was for the power steering. My buddy sat the radiators side by side and said the OEM one had NO extra fittings anywhere on it. Obviously Honda made enough radiators back then to make 2 separate styles (AT or MT), but the aftermarket is a little more universal. No big deal, but WTF is up with the radiator having ANYTHING to do with the power steering system. Are we missing something here or was there an updated version of the radiator made? Thanks for any insight.

nswst8
08-20-2008, 04:02 PM
No, don't worry. Should you find a P/S line coming off the radiator then just reattach it to the new radiator.

To my knowledge the accord didn't need the P/S fluid to be cooled. But the aftermarket radiator that you have could fit another vehicle entirely.

turabaka
08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
yeah that's odd. I bought a koyo and it has two fittings for an automatic transmission, but nothing for power steering. I'd say just leave it, and don't worry about it.

A18A
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
the p/s just has a metal line that goes in front of the a/c radiator, i believe that's all the cooling it gets. i've been running mine without it and haven't had any problems

Oldblueaccord
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah the line running accross the front of the rad down low is a power steering line. On the 4g;s is finned all along there as well.

I think the power steering fluid runs hot personally esp with larger then stock tires. Look at your fluid in the tank and look what comes out of the bottle new.

Problem with using the radaitor is it runs pretty hot so you would have to compare the stock running temps to the cooled temps to see if you made any differance. Just my 2 cents.

wp

2oodoor
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
doesn't make sense to me
are you sure that is not for the drain petcock, fan sensor, or something.

offthahook
08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
doesn't make sense to me
are you sure that is not for the drain petcock, fan sensor, or something.

The drain and sensor holes are accounted for. He sat the two pieces side by side to be sure he wasn't being a total dumbass. Trust me, he would have coldcocked himself if he missed the drain and sensor plug ins.

LX-incredible
08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Never came across anything that had a power steering cooler in the radiator... The 86-87 had a different radiator than the 88-89 with different AT fittings. Maybe they incorporated both in the aftermarket. Take a picture.