PDA

View Full Version : Primary booster venturi help

Kagato
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
So i've been having random problems recently with bogging at low rpm and while taking corners. sometimes after coming to a stop i can rev the car up to about 3k and after that revs drop off and she stalls. been doing some research and decided to check my venturi's, and turns out the primary is pretty loose, wiggles back and forth quite a bit.

my question is: can the screw be tightened without drilling out the rivits? i'm a little hesitant to get all crazy with the car seeing as how i have no idea what to do and am still pretty much figuring it out as i go.

greentee76
08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Drilling out the rivets in the choke plate is not that big of a deal, just get some short sheetmetal screws to replace them. They thread into the aluminum choke housing pretty easily.
I assume that you have been reading the stickied thread on the boosters, I think I would give VTEC inside's way of doing a shot before I went ahed and cracked the carb casting like A20A1.
I have never attempted to tighten a venturi on one of these carbs but don't think I'd be too afraid if I had to.

Kagato
08-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Yea i got the idea to check from the sticky. Lil worried about all the stuff in the way and removing/installing it all. been a EFI vw guy for 7 years, first honda, first carb.

Also, noticed that my choke never seems to close, even when the car is off it is almost fully open. cause? solution?

turabaka
08-20-2008, 07:30 PM
eh. Think of it this way. If you fuck something up that just gives you one more excuse to get a weber. hehe.

Kagato
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
so i found out today that 20 year old aluminum is very brittle.... didnt have to drill out the rivets after all, it snapped just in the right place so the peg and square ends that join the choke lever to the carb are still intact, as are the bolt holes.

used a bent steak knife to tighten the venturi screw (didnt have a slotted small enough to fit in the hole, im an ex-vw guy, we're inventive). extremely abusive road test and she's runnin like a champ again!

turabaka
08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Awesome. Good to hear you got it all fixed.

greentee76
08-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Glad to here you got it.
Yeah that OEM carb can be scary to have to start messing with.

codyJDM
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear you worked it out man.

A20A1
08-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I love breaking things so be forewarned when following my directions hehehe

greentee76
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
A20A1's back in the house!
I started a thread last night wondering wheere you had been. Aloha!

Sorry for the thread jack.

Kagato
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
haha your sticky saved the day a20a1! hadnt even thought of checkin it then saw the sticky and was like why not? and to think i was ready to start tearin out and replacing all kinds of parts to get rid of the problem and all i had to do was tighten a bolt! im sure if i had drilled out the rivets it woulda been cleaner but meh! it works!