PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Accelerator pedal.?!

jpetrovic
08-24-2008, 03:02 AM
alllright i got an 88 accord MT 137,xxx miles on it.

my Accel pedal gets stuck only when the engine is running, Its so bad it makes me look like a Noob when driving b/c i hit it down soo hard it revs the engine and everyone looks:(

like i said it only happens when engin is running, 98% of the time i let off the peddle and then place my foot back on it and it sitcks. Its sticks soo bad that i have to give it a lot of force (Not A LOT of force but quite a bit.). It makes a Loud POP noise when i set it free. the pop noise sounds like the its coming from the peddle

and is this a stick of deodorant ? >>:bandance:

russiankid
08-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Sounds like your throttle cable is binding up.

A18A
08-24-2008, 05:15 AM
yeah, if it's not that i would check the pedal area for shit stuck in the spring or something

jpetrovic
08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
what do you mean by binding up???

nswst8
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I had the same problem, replace the throttle cable.

You can try to remove clean and replace the cable but if it binds again you'll be doing it over.

DBMaster
08-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Over time the inner cable (which is a bunch of tiny strands of steel wire) abrades the plastic jacket. The individual steel wires can also get rough spots and some of them can actually break which makes even rougher places along the cable that would cause it to stick in the jacket. I would first verify that the sticking is not actually the throttle plate. You could disconnect the cable and check for smooth operation of the throttle plate just to make sure the binding is in the cable.

LX-incredible
08-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the cable. Mine broke at the plastic piece that twists into the firewall. It's pretty easy to replace. I would also watch the engine while you have someone put it into gear and check for excessive movement from broken mounts.

jpetrovic
08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out this weekend. If the the throttle plate is sticking do i just use that carb cleaner on it? or is there some kinda grease i need to use?

Civic Accord Honda
08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Over time the inner cable (which is a bunch of tiny strands of steel wire) abrades the plastic jacket. The individual steel wires can also get rough spots and some of them can actually break which makes even rougher places along the cable that would cause it to stick in the jacket. I would first verify that the sticking is not actually the throttle plate. You could disconnect the cable and check for smooth operation of the throttle plate just to make sure the binding is in the cable.
they can also melt if u have really bad grounding problems X_X

jpetrovic
08-26-2008, 11:02 PM
ALSO, I've been pretty much lookin everywhere for a new throttle cable... i cant find one :-/ any sites u guys recommend? or will a autozone have it?

jpetrovic
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I cleaned the throttle body and it turns out that was the problem, Thanks for the help :D

Oldblueaccord
08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Cool. Thats a good once a year thing to clean the TB on an older car anyway.
You can lube the spring area of the TB as well.

wp