PDA

View Full Version : low idle

dodgers17
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
anyone know how to fix a low idle and after that the engine putters i need some help this is actually my first car :hmph:

2ndGenGuy
08-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi, welcome to the site. What year is your car, and where are you from? There are slight differences year to year, and very broad differences depending on what country you're in.

Can you give some more details on the problem? Does it idle low all the time, or only after it warms up? Does it have a high idle (it should) when you first start it up?

Also, what do you mean by the engine "putters?" Does it feel low on power and run rough when you give it gas? Is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe when it's puttering? More details the better! :)

dodgers17
08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
well it idles low at start up and i have to give it gas so it wont die. and that goes on for a while until it does warm up. when its all wramed up and its at idle its revs up and down. its a 86 accord i dont know what type it is all stickers are broken off

Civic Accord Honda
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
posted in the worng spot m8 lol

but does it have power windows or manual? and does it have a carb or PGMFI?
sounds like a carb car problem to me tho

Dr_Snooz
08-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Without knowing anything more than what I've just read, I'm going to say this is an FI low on coolant with dirty injectors. I could be wrong though.

nswst8
08-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, alittle more information is needed here.

Carb or injectors there is a big difference when trying to assist you.

Seems like he posted in the wrong forum if its an 86 accord.

2ndGenGuy
08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I moved this to the 3rd gen technical section. Wasn't sure if it was EFI or carb'd.