PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Wire Color Coding....

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
ok, So i am trying to fix my "new" 86 hatch, but there are a couple of wires under the dash that have been cut, or just spliced into a connector..... the owners sometime before me did A LOT of wiring on their own and as a result, i have to try to figure out what they did to reverse it.....

Does anybody know a site or something that lists all the color codes for the wires under the dash????? Preferably for the DX model, as that is the one I now own....

Thanks....

Oldblueaccord
08-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Theres a manual floating around here on the site some where. It will have most of the wire colors.

By our other post sounds like the radio wires are a mess. To get it to stop blowing the fuse you need to isolate the wires so they don't touch each other or anything else.

wp

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 10:09 AM
ok, So i am trying to fix my "new" 86 hatch, but there are a couple of wires under the dash that have been cut, or just spliced into a connector..... the owners sometime before me did A LOT of wiring on their own and as a result, i have to try to figure out what they did to reverse it.....

Does anybody know a site or something that lists all the color codes for the wires under the dash????? Preferably for the DX model, as that is the one I now own....

Thanks....

if you can take a pic of said wire it could have been added for a nuiber of things in the past maybe an alarm
power locks etc.....

2oodoor
08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
would help if you could say what is working and what is not working, are fuses being blown, which ones etc..
I can photocopy a wire diagram (color coded), but a specific area only if you want to be able to read it.
If this is just stereo stuff there are several threads here that tell the wire color code already.

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
ok, so here's a link to my cardomain page...... i have a couple of pics thatt show wome of what i am talking about.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3141833

if you guys need more pics, just tell me what i need to get... I am only 18 and am not very electronically skilled, so any help you can give would be AMAZING!!!!!!

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
it appers to be a wire hooked to the illumination controller maybe for a et of fogs that are no longer on the car follow the white wire and see were it goes and if it stops right were the end is maybe it was for some interior lights like neon or something i would just remove

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Roodoo2,

My cig lighter, clock, dome light and the trunk light do not work.... the radio, all the dash buttons and lights work otherwise... but the clock might be just that it is dead....

The only fuse that blows out is the number 13 under the hood...
if it helps at all the stereo is not stock and looks like it was put in by a 3 yr old.... instead of getting a harness adapter for the radio, they cut off the connector and just soldered the wires together.... the radio sucks, but it does work.... you just have to turn it way up to hear anything and then you get the buzzing/humming in the sound... but i'll probably replace the whole sound system in a while, so that's not a big deal unless it's an easy fix....

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
i can get the color codes for the radio and i belive the clock sig and those lights are on the same fuse

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 11:14 AM
ok, so the white wire probably went to some interior light???? is that right????
what about the blue wire that is in the last pic????? does anybody know what that might go to????? i have only had the car about a week and a half and we are just trying to get it back to a decent usable condition.... the radio wire coding would be nice to have if it's not too much trouble.... it will come in handy when we install a new sound system....the speakers are all factory and are crumbling apart, so that will be a project down the road...I can take a pic of the wiring of the radio if it would help out... kinda looks like hell though....

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 11:30 AM
looks like the blue wire was def not stock looks to have rubber scratches on it from being pulled over rubber lol ie installed lol

possably a remote wire for a amp check the cargo area under the car pet and see if it leads there and if no check under the seats

2oodoor
08-27-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93&highlight=radio+wire
here ya go !

a lot of people forget about that headlight circuit that dims the radio lights, and the power ant wire..(dont need those,really with aftermarket radios, better off taping them up) and BTW there is another fuse for the radio under the dash as well, left of the steering wheel pull it down.
Sounds like your radio is shorted anyway from dead speakers, it may keep blowing fuses.

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 12:10 PM
ok, so i am now uploading more pics onto my cardomain page.... give me about 15 and i can have you guys a lot more pics that may help.... also in a couple of the pics, below the ashtray there is a box mounted to the dash that looks like there is a connector that is unplugged.... it's a blue connector that goes up into the dash and from there i can't follow it....my compy's a little slow so that's why it'll take so long.........

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
ok so my cardomain page is updated, and even more pics are up..... if you need me to clarify where anything is or something just ask.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3141833

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 12:49 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_11_full.jpg?233113-240

ash try light
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_12_full.jpg?233113-240

appers to be fuse for radio hooked to power wire on sig lighter

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_17_full.jpg?233113-240

stock radio harness i think

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
ok... do you know what that box thing is mounted under the ashtray???? the thing that is bloted in.... when i went to the local U-Pull-It i never saw that on any of the other 3rd gen accords....

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
ok... do you know what that box thing is mounted under the ashtray???? the thing that is bloted in.... when i went to the local U-Pull-It i never saw that on any of the other 3rd gen accords....

the black box
is stock cant remeber what its for but its supposed to be there

Oldblueaccord
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
That plug looks like it goes to the box under dash by your radio that is the chime for door open keys in ignition and if you left your headlights on. I would not sweat that too much if you dont have the box.

The white/blue stripe I think is for your cigarate lighter. Its is "hot" all the time meaning its on even with out the key/ignition on. It keep's the memory on your radio.

That small blue bulb goes in the ash tray pretty sure when you open it it comes on.

I would pull the radio for the time being and get that fuse to stop blowing. Then start adding stuff back in.

Get yourself a nice 12 volt test light as well if your gonna do all this yourself.

wp

lostforawhile
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
the fuse for the cig lighter is the same one as the dome light that fuse is under the hood . the box behind the radio is a timer unit,the seat belt warning chime and also the box that controls the sidemarker lights. I'm sure that somewhere there is a bare wire that is going to that radio, probably the memory wire, thats why your fuse keeps blowing. also get rid of that wire going to the dash light controller. it's a controlled ground, and a lot of times people try to hooks lights and such which will blow fuses and sometimes the dimmer box. if your new radio has a wire that controls brightness, find the light wire where it plugs into the clock. this wire is eithier on or off depending on the lights,and doesn't dim. this is the correct wire for the radio illumination lead. all the dash lights in the car that are dimmed, have a positive wire that is constant hot when the lights are on,the ground side of the light is controlled by the box. i'm out of phone minutes or you could call me i'm kind of the resident wiring expert on these cars here. you think you've got problems? you ought to see the harness i'm building for my car. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7648298487233453697&vt=lf&hl=en

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 03:34 PM
the fuse for the cig lighter is the same one as the dome light that fuse is under the hood . the box behind the radio is a timer unit,the seat belt warning chime and also the box that controls the sidemarker lights. I'm sure that somewhere there is a bare wire that is going to that radio, probably the memory wire, thats why your fuse keeps blowing. also get rid of that wire going to the dash light controller. it's a controlled ground, and a lot of times people try to hooks lights and such which will blow fuses and sometimes the dimmer box. if your new radio has a wire that controls brightness, find the light wire where it plugs into the clock. this wire is eithier on or off depending on the lights,and doesn't dim. this is the correct wire for the radio illumination lead. all the dash lights in the car that are dimmed, have a positive wire that is constant hot when the lights are on,the ground side of the light is controlled by the box. i'm out of phone minutes or you could call me i'm kind of the resident wiring expert on these cars here. you think you've got problems? you ought to see the harness i'm building for my car. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7648298487233453697&vt=lf&hl=en

so you rsaying alot of his part probs are due to the radio install i say its time to go to the jy cut a stock radio harnesswith plenty or lengthof wire stock and re wire the old one then go pick up trhe aftermart wire harness for like 10 bucks form walmart
or 5 from ebay

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/wiringdigram.jpg

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
:Dok.....

First off, Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are amazing for support, even to a new member!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, i am going to COMPLETELY REMOVE the radio!!!!!!!!!! when i get the money later to have a new one installed i will worry about that.....

i just have one big Q.... can anybody else verify what that blue connector is????? cuz i have 2 different answers and if it to that chimer box, is it ok to leave that disconnected???????

Thanks SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for helping me out :D
I will go work on getting out the radio and will get you guys results tonight.....

Coolbusracer
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_21.jpg?413619-240
can anyone tell me what that ground is for?????? Is it something i should worry about or what......

Also, can anyone tell me what these wires go to????????

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_22.jpg?514219-240

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/3141000-3141999/3141833_23.jpg?514219-240

the wires i am talking about are the green, yellow, and brown wires... they seem to lead to the center somewhere, but i couldn't pull the carpet out far enough to see.... plus it's starting to get dark and the car's outside....

ghettogeddy
08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
ummm nothing should be down there at all

i say foillow them one way its prolly got somethign to do with the radio

the plug prolly is for the chim box and i say plug it in with out it you mught forget to turn your lights off ect leading to a dead battery

Tomisimo
08-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Ok.. of topic here but can anyone tell me, what red/black or green/black means? is it ground normally on our cars if it has black stripe on it.. because I have one green/black and green/white on one switch, and I dont know whith one is ground or plus.

A18A
08-01-2009, 04:17 AM
red/black is usually +12v when the lights are on. dunno about the green/striped color ones. they might be wiper related?