PDA

View Full Version : tires are balding on one side?!?

Chrome_thangs
09-23-2002, 11:56 PM
I took my tires off to change the brakes and i noticed that the insides of my front tires are hella more worn than than the outside. Then i checked the old tires that were on it before it had rims and a drop and they were also worn on the inside. I put on the prelude arms to adjust the camber but i guess that didn't work either. What else could be wrong for my camber to be off even before i dropped it.

AZmike
09-24-2002, 01:55 AM
Did you put the prelude arms on when you dropped it? You probably just need an alignment. Have you gotten one recently?

markmdz89hatch
09-24-2002, 06:35 AM
yeah... I agree with 89lxi... That sounds like a bad case of "you need an allignment".. The 'lude arms are a great way to help correct the incorrect camber, but they have to be adjusted (after installation) by a professional in order for them to be put to use. If it's not the camber, it could be a toe problem. Either way, when it's brought in for an allignment, they'll correct both problems the best they can. Following this, you should notice an improvement in the ride and feel of the car, and if the toe was anything substantial (in or out), you should notice that the car will also feel a little easier to steer. Beware though, if you've driven for a while, and have noticable uneven wear, once they correct this, you'll get more road noise due to the way that the tire now meets the surface of the road.

Just my 2Cents....

...Jim, what's ur take on this.

DBMaster
09-24-2002, 06:50 AM
Some places might charge more to do this addtional, non standard, adjustment on a 3g Accord. Other than that little tidbit I agree with what has been said.

89AccordNate
09-24-2002, 06:51 AM
Sounds like you tried to eye ball it and adjust it yourself, this is a big no no! If it was possible, why would they have machines using lasers to adjust your alignment :)

Nate.

DBMaster
09-24-2002, 07:39 AM
The reason it is tough to do the adjustment (and why some places charge extra) is you have to estimate the adjustment with the wheels elevated (you can't adjust the camber with the weight of the car on the wheels) and then set the car back down, check it, and adjust again, if necessary.

The guy who did mine got it right in one try, but sometimes it takes several tries.

toastyghost
09-24-2002, 08:41 AM
Nate: why? To justify how much they charge of course. :D

Jims 86LXI HB
09-24-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
...Jim, what's ur take on this.

All the replies thus far make sense, but I'm thinking something else may be helping the wear factor. Were the rear tires looked at just as closely as the fronts? How does he drive his car, cornering wise. Does he, a)take it easy around turn's, b)take turn's fast, c)take turns as fast as he can frequently? What I'm thinking is one of the reason's I didn't go with 17's and he's running "rims wrapped in 215/35 18 Nankang tires" With really low profile tires if you haven't done something to reduce the body roll of the car they are going to wear excessively on their edges if you take corners on the fast side frequently. You'd think that would mean the outside edges as well, but for some reason I've alway's seen the insides edges wear on all my fwd cars wear way before the outsides. And if the car isn't lowered that would go along with what I'm thinking, especially since most of them(lowering springs) shift more cornering load to the rear, (eibach sportlines would be the exceptiion to that, they will make the front work more). Just a thought on my part, it may be all alignmet driven. No matter I'd take the car in for alignment

markmdz89hatch
09-24-2002, 09:27 AM
hey Jim, thanks for that one... I completely overlooked that one. Now i know one more thing to factor in for tire wear.

Chrome_thangs
09-25-2002, 01:26 AM
Thanxs Everyone!

I was thinking i had to get more suspenion work did. No, i haven't got a front end alingment since the drop or since i've had it. I was planning on getting one done soon. I was reading somewhere that you had to get a four wheel computerized alingment if it's dropped is that true? Where would i get one?

AZmike
09-25-2002, 02:18 AM
Check the phone book for places that do alignment and call around some. The best deal I found was at the Honda dealer for $50, but they're running a special. Make sure to ask if they do camber when you call for prices.